Dezarae's Politics & More
April 19, 2024, 01:10:56 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: http://dezaraespoliticsmore.freesmfhosting.com/

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links MusicPlayer Jukebox Emoticons Emoticons2 Staff List Login Register  

Syria/Assad is next

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 19
  Print  
Author Topic: Syria/Assad is next  (Read 2385 times)
countryguy

Badges: (View All)
Eighth year Anniversary Level 6 Seventh year Anniversary 2500 Posts Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary
« Reply #105 on: August 20, 2014, 02:38:07 pm »

It appears, to me, that ISIS knows its time is getting short, and that they'd better get their "fun" in, while they can.  Apparently, they've attracted sadists from world-wide, who see a chance to fulfill their most brutal, despicable fantasies.  They know that, in the end, the world won't stand for such depravity, and will, sooner or later, "take them out".

The only problem is, I think we're waiting too much "later".  I don't support military action, very often, but brutality on the level we're seeing in Iraq and Syria just cannot be ignored or condoned.

However, we do have to be ready to accept that, if American troops are committed, these sociopaths will see just how depraved they can get, with any Americans they capture.
Report Spam   Logged

In this world, a person can DEMAND respect ........ or COMMAND it.

The former will seldom - if ever - achieve the latter.
NamVetMike69
Stimulating discussion with opposing views.

My Mood: Frisky

Second year Anniversary 2500 Posts Spammer 50 Posts in one day One year Anniversary Level 5 1000 Posts
« Reply #106 on: August 20, 2014, 07:57:51 pm »

NEAR MISS: US tried, failed to rescue American hostages held by ISIS in Syria

PRESIDENT OBAMA sent US special forces to Syria earlier this summer to rescue a number of Americans held by ISIS, believed to include journalist James Foley, but did not find the hostages, the Obama administration says

So much for transparency
Report Spam   Logged

Bringing smiles your way every day.
hoosier88
Global Moderator

Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary Arcade Highscore Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Level 5
« Reply #107 on: August 20, 2014, 08:09:53 pm »

PRESIDENT OBAMA sent US special forces to Syria earlier this summer to rescue a number of Americans held by ISIS, believed to include journalist James Foley, but did not find the hostages, the Obama administration says

So much for transparency

(My bold)

Surely you don't expect that kind of operation to be announced in advance.  & sometimes not even if the operation succeeds. 

There's so much apparent confusion on the ground there in Syria, that I expect we - or anyone else with the operators & transport, & air cover, etc. - could attempt the mission.  It's too bad that the mission came up dry - it's a triumph of planning & execution that we apparently got all our raiders back out, with no deaths on our side, & also extracted our birds.

We've come a long way from Prexy Carter's attempt to break out the Embassy hostages back when, in Iran.  (& we've had a lot of practice now, in working out doctrine, insertions, methods, GPS, sigint, pathfinders, MTBF on our air transport, flying NOE with NVDs in desert, staging - the 100s of tiny steps that have to be taken to put boots on the ground & back out successfully.) 
Report Spam   Logged
NamVetMike69

Second year Anniversary 2500 Posts Spammer 50 Posts in one day One year Anniversary Level 5 1000 Posts
« Reply #108 on: August 21, 2014, 05:05:34 am »

You mean like Grenada ?
Report Spam   Logged

hoosier88
Global Moderator

Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary Arcade Highscore Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Level 5
« Reply #109 on: August 21, 2014, 09:28:39 am »

You mean like Grenada ?

(My bold)

Ah, our short, glorious war.  See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invasion_of_Grenada

"Operation Urgent Fury was a 1983 United States–led invasion of Grenada, a Caribbean island nation with a population of about 91,000 located 100 miles (160 km) north of Venezuela, that resulted in a U.S. victory within a matter of weeks.  ...

"The U.S. awarded more than 5,000 medals for merit and valor.[8][9]  ...  (among 7,300 US effectives - my paren)

"Nearly 8,000 soldiers, sailors, airmen, and marines had participated in Operation Urgent Fury along with 353 Caribbean allies of the Caribbean Peace Forces. U.S. forces sustained 19 killed and 116 wounded; Cuban forces sustained 25 killed, 59 wounded, and 638 combatants captured. Grenadian forces casualties were 45 killed and 358 wounded; at least 24 civilians were killed, 18 of whom were killed in the accidental bombing of a Grenadian mental hospital.[2]:62  ...

"United States[edit]

"The invasion showed problems with the U.S. government's "information apparatus," which Time described as still being in "some disarray" three weeks after the invasion. For example, the U.S. State Department falsely claimed that a mass grave had been discovered that held 100 bodies of islanders who had been killed by Communist forces.[5] Major General Norman Schwarzkopf, deputy commander of the invasion force, said that 160 Grenadian soldiers and 71 Cubans had been killed during the invasion; the Pentagon had given a much lower count of 59 Cuban and Grenadian deaths.[5] Ronald H. Cole's report for the Joint Chiefs of Staff showed an even lower count.[2]  ...

"A heavily fictionalized account of the invasion from a U.S. military perspective is shown in the 1986 Clint Eastwood motion picture Heartbreak Ridge, in which marines replaced the actual roles of army units. Due to the movie's portrayal of several incompetent officers and NCOs, the army opted out its military support of the movie.[citation needed]  ..."

(My emphasis)

& some of the US casualties/wounded were due to poor maps & coordination between units requesting arty & the naval gun support.  Sure, we can beat up these little flyspeck countries with no probs - it's not like the Cuban/N. Korean forces had anywhere to flee to. 

The matchup of forces had the US/allies overwhelmingly outnumbering, outgunning, tac air, transport, naval guns.  The naval matchup doesn't even bother to list any Granadian vessels - which makes me think that there is no Granadian navy.  There was also a blip that 4 SEALs were lost in action - a night drop, low-level.

Report Spam   Logged
A159
Administrator

My Mood: Cautious

Nineth year Anniversary Level 6 Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary 5000 Posts Sixth year Anniversary
« Reply #110 on: August 21, 2014, 11:30:00 am »

So, in all honesty here, our SFs failed to located and rescue hostages.
Report Spam   Logged

As assistant Admin, I serve to improve this board's existence to the best of my ability. Keep in mind that, at my age, my abilities are slightly fuzzy.
A159
Administrator

Nineth year Anniversary Level 6 Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary 5000 Posts Sixth year Anniversary
« Reply #111 on: August 21, 2014, 11:42:17 am »

I don't support military action, very often, but brutality on the level we're seeing in Iraq and Syria just cannot be ignored or condoned.

However, we do have to be ready to accept that, if American troops are committed, these sociopaths will see just how depraved they can get, with any Americans they capture.
It would be a hard pill for me to swallow if we go into Syria.... officially. I understand the thinking that at some point ISIS has to be eliminated, but I'm still in the camp that this is NATO's/Arab's mission, not ours. When I say NATO, I mean without US troops. And without US troops I mean no combat troops, only 'advisers' like how DC plays it today in the news. NATO supposedly carried out most of the missions in Libya .... why not do the same against ISIS in Syria? NATO certainly has recent war experience now .... dealing with killer sand goons in Syria should be more the same as it was in Libya. I just know that once we 'go into' Syria, officially, that opens the big door to the big one. Not that we're all that far from the big one as it now stands .... but it's a genie very hard to put back into the bottle once out. The ole ''you broke it now own it' theory. Next stop .... Russia. Unless Assad and Putin gives the US their blessings and military cooperation, making us all happy allies, then we could do the Syria dance for a couple of yrs.
Report Spam   Logged

As assistant Admin, I serve to improve this board's existence to the best of my ability. Keep in mind that, at my age, my abilities are slightly fuzzy.
NamVetMike69

« Reply #112 on: August 21, 2014, 02:51:48 pm »

Messiah was against Asad before he was with him now Cool
Report Spam   Logged

A159
Administrator

« Reply #113 on: August 21, 2014, 06:17:06 pm »

I'm not so sure that God takes sides .....

Just think, Assad had pretty much control of his country before the West backed ISIS & Friends in order to overthrow/destroy him. Much like Saddam had pretty much control over his difficult country before the West turned against/killed him. Much like how the West backed bin Laden and his terror expert murderers before the West ignored/turned against him. Once again, a nasty gasket (ISIS) has blown up in our faces. Assad is in position to keep fighting them just as Iran has pitched in to do. Yet, we want to hate them so much ..... Syria and Iran but fear ISIS more. Ever get a mental picture of a dog ate up with the mange chasing his own tail until it drops from self inflicted wounds? Welcome to the West.

Report Spam   Logged

countryguy

Eighth year Anniversary Level 6 Seventh year Anniversary 2500 Posts Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary
« Reply #114 on: August 22, 2014, 06:28:09 am »

The gist of our foreign policy, for decades, and under democrat and republican administrations ...........

"The enemy of my enemy is my friend."

Until, that is, that "friend" becomes our next enemy.  Then, we have some hard choices to make.
Report Spam   Logged

In this world, a person can DEMAND respect ........ or COMMAND it.

The former will seldom - if ever - achieve the latter.
Plato Potato
Global Moderator

My Mood: Leary

Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary Sixth year Anniversary Linux User Mobile User Fifth year Anniversary
« Reply #115 on: August 22, 2014, 07:20:38 am »

These days, it gets mighty complicated. The enemy of my enemy is often just as nesty a bestid as my enemy. The enemy of my enemy's trading partner's friend is, well, us!
Report Spam   Logged
A159
Administrator

« Reply #116 on: August 22, 2014, 08:16:15 am »

Not only that but, there's no light at that end of the tunnel either. We may defeat disperse ISIL in the next 10 yrs or so ..... but guaranteed, there will be more groups established and ready to fight just to wear down the mighty deflating western giants. The longer we play the longer we pay.... dearly.

Report Spam   Logged

NamVetMike69

« Reply #117 on: August 22, 2014, 01:03:59 pm »

Armchair Generals  thumbs up
Report Spam   Logged

A159
Administrator

« Reply #118 on: August 22, 2014, 01:50:00 pm »

GOP skillset
 Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged

NamVetMike69

« Reply #119 on: August 23, 2014, 04:47:13 am »

General Dempsey, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff is saying, either is U.S. policy, or foreshadows U.S. policy, then I think it's fair to say we have begun the third Iraq war.”
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 19
  Print  

Jump to: