Dezarae's Politics & More
March 29, 2024, 02:41:53 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: WELCOME TO DEZARAE'S POLITICS & MORE!
We Have Been Here Since January 2012 & Still Going..Some Features & Topics Are Not Viewable By Guests. If You Wish To Register, "Please Provide A Verifiable Valid Email Address", "From Your Server" (Who You Have Internet With) When You Sign Up.."We Do Check Your Email To See If It Is Verifiable..Also we no longer accept Yahoo email accounts..If We Can't Verify Your Email Your Registration Request Will Be Denied, And You Will Have To Sign Up Again." We Would Love To Have You Onboard!We also c heck to make sure yu IP address is valid.

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links MusicPlayer Jukebox Emoticons Emoticons2 Staff List Login Register  

The Tea Party Will Never Understand The Constitution

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: The Tea Party Will Never Understand The Constitution  (Read 633 times)
WVaGAL
Forum Owner
Administrator

My Mood: Stressed

Badges: (View All)
Fifth year Anniversary Arcade Highscore Fourth year Anniversary Level 7 Linux User Mobile User
« on: April 22, 2015, 08:05:00 pm »

The Tea Party will never understand the Constitution: What the right misses about its favorite document

GOP candidates constantly invoke the Constitution. A Yale Law professor reveals what they all fail to understand

Salon
By Elias Isquith
Tuesday, Apr 21, 2015 04:45 PM EDT

http://www.salon.com/2015/04/21/the_tea_party_will_never_understand_the_constitution_what_the_right_misses_about_its_favorite_document/

With the 2016 election cycle having kicked into first-gear already, any American who hasn’t inured themselves to the monotonous (and often ultimately meaningless) repetition of the word “Constitution” is advised to get to self-desensitizing — and quick.

Sens. Rand Paul and Ted Cruz have already made a fetishized version of the U.S.’s supreme governing document central to their campaign rhetoric; and even politicians less beloved by the supposedly Constitution-crazy Tea Party, like Jeb Bush or Hillary Clinton, are likely to soon follow suit. That’s how American politics functions now, in the era of the NSA, Guantanamo Bay, lethal drone strikes and endless war.

But as that list of questionable policies suggests, there’s an unanswered question lurking behind so much of our happy talk about the Constitution — namely, do we even understand it? As dozens of polls and public surveys will attest, the answer is, not really. And that’s one of the reasons that Yale Law School professor Akhil Reed Amar has decided to write a multi-book series about the Constitution so many Americans claim to love, but so few seem to understand. “The Law of the Land: A Grand Tour of our Constitutional Republic,” released earlier this month, is that project’s latest addition.

READ MORE: Well worth your time for entertainment and more insight to the insanity of the right

http://www.salon.com/2015/04/21/the_tea_party_will_never_understand_the_constitution_what_the_right_misses_about_its_favorite_document/
Report Spam   Logged

Live & Let Live. Be Nice To Each Other. Life Is Short. We don't know what tomorrow holds for us.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

countryguy

Eighth year Anniversary Level 6 Seventh year Anniversary 2500 Posts Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2016, 02:31:31 pm »

There's more than one interpretation of the term "constitutionalist"

There's the group that demands adherence only to the original text of the Constitution.  They regard any amendments to be a corruption of the original document, and invalid, even though the original text of the constitution, itself, (Article V) provides the mechanism for such amendments.

There's a group that believes in adherence to the original text, including the first ten amendments (the Bill of Rights).

Another group believes in a strictly literal interpretation of the text of the constitution.

Still another group believes that the constitution is a "living document", and should be interpreted according to the understandings and conditions of the day, and considering technological and societal changes and development, since the original adoption of the constitution.

The first group, primarily very staunch conservatives, don't seem to realize that, if all amendments to the constitution were invalid, that would affect the freedoms of speech, religion, assembly, and the press, and, especially, the 2nd amendment right to bear arms --- all foundations of the far right movement.

If the second group got its way, there would be no direct election of senatorsOnly land owners would be allowed to vote for presidentState governments would appoint electors to the electoral college, not necessarily reflecting the popular vote, even for the office of president.  I don't think most conservatives, if they understood what ignoring constitutional amendments would do, would hold that position, for long.

The third group is so convinced that "the Founders" were infallible, and could anticipate every change and development coming, over the centuries, that there should never be any changes to the text and/or interpretation of what they wrote.  Kinda like the Bible, but without the "divine inspiration".

Finally, it's the fourth group that has, down thru our history, generally held sway.  But, that's the problem, according to the first three groups.  That's what has allowed what they see as the corruption of the moral direction of the country -- on issues such as abortion, gay marriage, LGBTQ rights, even civil rights.

And, of course, there are groups of people who fall everywhere in between .

And, they all refer to themselves as Constitutionalists.  And to the others as heretics and un-American.
Report Spam   Logged

In this world, a person can DEMAND respect ........ or COMMAND it.

The former will seldom - if ever - achieve the latter.
WVaGAL
Forum Owner
Administrator

Fifth year Anniversary Arcade Highscore Fourth year Anniversary Level 7 Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2016, 12:44:04 am »

All of you had excellent points..The tea party crowd are so out there its not even funny..They seems to be getting worse even the right wing politicians.They have turned America into a circus, and other countries probably are thinking we all are crazy here..It's sad what America has become. But how will we stop them and get America back on track? I will tell you that I think the republican circus needs to be brought up on disciplinary charges.This insanity in America has to be stopped.I don't think it will ever happen.I would love to send tea partiers and all of the insane republicans to Siberia..so they can chill out.. LOL thumbs up

Where I Have been ill and occupied with divorce,getting a drivers for another state (which has been a battle because of laws that went in force after 911).I have to get back into politics again.I have started back watching the news again, but I have to be honest.It is pretty hard doing that now due to the crazy rightwingers and Trump..Well I have made a start and gotta get back to my old self..I have had lack of concentration on some things but I am working on it..Anyway I want to thank you all for hanging in here..I know I have ben absent and I am sorry..
Report Spam   Logged

Live & Let Live. Be Nice To Each Other. Life Is Short. We don't know what tomorrow holds for us.
hoosier88
Global Moderator

Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary Arcade Highscore Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Level 5
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2016, 09:08:18 am »

GAL - No worries, good to have you back.  & yah, while you were otherwise occupied, the national political scene in the US has become a three- (or four- or five-ring) circus.  I am still amazed @ how many clowns can fit into one of those little cars that putters into the limelight & stalls ...
Report Spam   Logged
WVaGAL
Forum Owner
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2016, 03:23:45 am »

Well I have been getting back into politics now...and this is a very important election..Dubbya was pretty bad, but this jerk joker has plans to fix it so the filthy rich pays no taxes. Just like this clown of a candidate TRUMP doesn't pay his taxes..I also think that "anybody" that is a citizen of the USA not be allowed to keep their (money) aka riches, in off shore accounts! angry

GAL - No worries, good to have you back.  & yah, while you were otherwise occupied, the national political scene in the US has become a three- (or four- or five-ring) circus.  I am still amazed @ how many clowns can fit into one of those little cars that putters into the limelight & stalls ...
Report Spam   Logged

WVaGAL
Forum Owner
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2016, 03:31:12 am »

New Slogan...Dump Trump!
Report Spam   Logged

Plato Potato
Global Moderator

My Mood: Leary

Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary Sixth year Anniversary Linux User Mobile User Fifth year Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2016, 06:12:24 pm »

Even the text of the original Constitution, before the Bill of Rights, spelled out that the document would be amended as needed, and it clearly spelled out how to do it. Those strict literal constructionists are denying the text of the original document. The founders never imagined 50 states, steam trains, or the internet.
Report Spam   Logged
steelydan
Global Moderator

My Mood: Happy

I Had Too Much To Dream Last Night.

Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2016, 05:49:23 pm »

New Slogan...Dump Trump!

How about Don the Con?
Report Spam   Logged

Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward.

http://dezaraespoliticsmore.freesmfhosting.com/index.php
Tony Light

My Mood: Refreshed

Fourth year Anniversary Level 4 Third year Anniversary 1000 Posts Second year Anniversary Poll Voter
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2016, 10:14:41 am »

New Slogan...Dump Trump!

Ooooppppps, Trump won. Gals girl went down to defeat.
Report Spam   Logged
hoosier88
Global Moderator

Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary Arcade Highscore Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Level 5
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2016, 01:44:54 pm »

New Slogan...Dump Trump!

Ooooppppps, Trump won. Gals girl went down to defeat.

Yah, he won the election.  But he won't move into the White House, he won't take the salary, he wants to live in Trump Tower, he (allegedly) wants to cancel the next Air Force One.  Does he actually plan to be president? 

He's up all hours Tweeting.  You know, a normal person would be exhausted from studying what the president needs to know - even if only in outline, not in specifics.  & Trump starts from zero background, as real estate isn't a big deal in being president.  Can VP Pence actually carry the load, until he (Pence) collapses from the hours, stress & overlwork?  Is Pence that self-sacrificing?  Would Pence see this as some kind of Calvary, his atonement for linking up with Trump @ all?

Stay tuned ...
Report Spam   Logged
Tony Light

Fourth year Anniversary Level 4 Third year Anniversary 1000 Posts Second year Anniversary Poll Voter
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2016, 09:28:29 am »

Gal, you said, " Just like this clown of a candidate TRUMP doesn't pay his taxes." Could you furnish some info that states that as fact? Or are you putting out fake news again.  Grin Grin Cheesy Cheesy Cool Cool
Report Spam   Logged
steelydan
Global Moderator

My Mood: Happy

I Had Too Much To Dream Last Night.

Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2016, 08:39:43 am »

Well let's see them then!
Report Spam   Logged

Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward.

http://dezaraespoliticsmore.freesmfhosting.com/index.php
countryguy

Eighth year Anniversary Level 6 Seventh year Anniversary 2500 Posts Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2016, 09:30:30 am »

Donald states that he pays his taxes.  Why won't he "... furnish some info that states that as fact"?  The election's over -- yet, he still won't make his tax returns public.

What's he hiding?
Report Spam   Logged

Tony Light

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2016, 09:04:48 am »

You libs are saying he didnt pay taxes so show some proof to back that up. Gal stated it as fact. Show us the money. Bet she cannot backup her statement.
Report Spam   Logged
countryguy

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2016, 05:08:02 pm »

Trump is saying he did pay his fair share of taxes.  He stated it as fact, while bragging about how smart that made him.

Seems The Orange One is finding it every bit as difficult, to back up his statements.  The big difference is ....... WVGal isn't answerable to the American people.

But, then, it would seem, The Orange One doesn't think he is, either.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: