Dezarae's Politics & More
March 28, 2024, 05:04:10 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Thanks For Looking Around. Now Sign Up And Join Us! It's Fast & Easy.If You Decide It's Not For You, Then No Problem..

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links MusicPlayer Jukebox Emoticons Emoticons2 Staff List Login Register  

You Don't Have to "Upgrade" to Windows 10

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: You Don't Have to "Upgrade" to Windows 10  (Read 631 times)
countryguy

Badges: (View All)
Eighth year Anniversary Level 6 Seventh year Anniversary 2500 Posts Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary
« on: March 14, 2016, 12:13:25 am »

Apparently, I, among many, many others, have been faced with an almost-forced "upgrade" to Windows 10.  I'm currently running Windows 7 Professional.  For the last week, or so, every time I start my computer, the screen has been filled with an "offer" of a free installation of Windows 10.  This morning, that changed.  When I turned the computer on, this morning, I was informed that the "upgrade" was waiting to be installed - and there was no option to refuse it.  The only options given, were to continue with the installation, or to delay it for up to 8 hours.  There was also no way to close this installation screen.  I tried to use the task manager to "end process", but that failed.

Using a search engine, I entered a search for, "how do I stop the upgrade to windows10", and found a site named, SuperSite for Windows.
 ( http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/how-stop-windows-10-upgrade-downloading-your-system ).  There, it told me how to find and delete the windows updates that cause this forced "upgrade".  It also has a comments section, where one can discover that there are some major problems with Windows 10, along with some very scary security concerns.

I had been very curious, as to just why Microsoft was so determined to install the Windows 10 operating system, on my computer.  The only reason I could think of, is the possibility that Windows 10 could give Microsoft (to begin with) expanded and/or totally unfettered access to anything on the computer.  There is reason to believe that this may well be the case.  As for me, for now, Windows 7 is working just fine, and I see absolutely no reason to want Windows 10, anyway.
Report Spam   Logged

In this world, a person can DEMAND respect ........ or COMMAND it.

The former will seldom - if ever - achieve the latter.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

steelydan
Global Moderator

My Mood: Happy

I Had Too Much To Dream Last Night.

Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2016, 11:26:48 am »

My experience so far with WIN10 has been fantastic. Faster and much more stable. So far no problems whatsoever. All operating systems basically get left behind because they eventually stop supporting them. All in the name of "improvements", money, etc... This is what I believe is happening countryguy, without hopefully sounding too paranoid. I believe microsoft and Gates have been working closely with the government (CIA) for some time in the name of security. I think this is another reason why the "Apple incident" is being brought to the forefront with such a ruckus. The government DOES want "unfettered access" to all communication devices. As I see it... the problem is twofold. Some people (the government) believe you can't have freedom without security. Others (like me) believe you can because to me having security doesn't always mean having freedom but having freedom means having security. If that makes any sense to you... I believe we're always going to have security issues no matter what we or our government do so I'll take freedom anyday. To decide, to live, to believe in.
Report Spam   Logged

Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward.

http://dezaraespoliticsmore.freesmfhosting.com/index.php
countryguy

Eighth year Anniversary Level 6 Seventh year Anniversary 2500 Posts Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2016, 02:06:31 pm »

I always get suspicious when someone tries to force something on me, SD -- and, they've very definitely been trying very hard to force Windows10 on me.  I never asked for this "upgrade".  But, when I turn my computer on, in the morning, and discover that the installation utility has already been installed on my computer, without my knowledge -- and there's no apparent way to close the installation screen -- I get suspicious.  Why is Microsoft so insistent on replacing my current operating system - which isn't that old, to begin with, and which is working just great - with a new one that, they say, isn't that much different?  I don't need - or want - all the new, improved, "bells and whistles". 

My computer use is pretty basic.  I look at news and sports articles.  I check the weather.  I do a little bit of work with a word processor and spreadsheet.  I enjoy participating in this forum.  I do a couple crossword puzzles, and a sudoku, and play a bit of solitaire.  That's pretty much it.  I don't do social networking.  I don't do videos.  I don't download music.  I don't own a smartphone or a tablet, so have no need to coordinate them with my computer.

In my experience, "upgrades" are, usually, a step backwards.  Maybe I'm unusual, that way, but I know I'm not alone.  I started with Windows3.1.  I really believe the best OS they've had was Windows98, second edition.  It's been downhill, from there.

In the above post, I mentioned the "comments" section, of the SuperSite for Windows.  There were several comments, in there, from people much more "computer-savvy" than myself, who say that many of their files designated as "private" have been uploaded to the internet, without their prior knowledge.  Apparently, there's a log, somewhere, of everything that's been uploaded from your computer, and that log, on their computers, indicates that personal files were uploaded.

That scares the hell out of me.

Outside of such things as passwords, bank account numbers, social security numbers, or such, I have nothing, on my computer, to hide.  But, I still don't feel comfortable knowing that someone outside, without my knowledge or permission, can access anything they want, on it.  If the government has a legitimate security concern, they can easily obtain a warrant to search my computer.  I wouldn't dream of resisting a legitimate warrant.  But, they have to have a legitimate reason, to get one issued.  That's what the 4th amendment is all about.

Report Spam   Logged

steelydan
Global Moderator

My Mood: Happy

I Had Too Much To Dream Last Night.

Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2016, 02:27:39 pm »

Honestly, I feel the same exact way. I was perfectly happy with Windows XP Pro and didn't want to change from that. I guess I'm a creature of habit and sometimes don't see the need for change except when needed. I am of course by definition a liberal but I don't always agree that change is for the better. In other words "if it ain't broke"... I also think that if the government is behind this they should find a way to handle the criminal element without compromising the very safety and security of the rest of the individuals they are "trying to protect".
Report Spam   Logged

Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward.

http://dezaraespoliticsmore.freesmfhosting.com/index.php
Plato Potato
Global Moderator

My Mood: Leary

Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary Sixth year Anniversary Linux User Mobile User Fifth year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2016, 11:27:01 am »

It is the nature of computers and programs that the state-of-the-art hardware and software you have now will be outdated, updated, or even replaced just when you got used to the now-old stuff. I'm told there are people out there still working with Commodore 64s and 8088-grade PCs. The rest of us change and adapt. I don't find Win10 to be any more mysterious than the XP I had before. Some things look different, but it still does the same come, sit, stay, and roll over I was used to.
Report Spam   Logged
countryguy

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2016, 01:12:02 pm »

It would appear that we might as well upgrade to the Windows 10 OS, anyway, as Microsoft has been sneaking individual files into your older systems, allowing for the same outside access to your computer that the 10 operating system does.  I have my computer set to not install upgrades without my permission, however, upon checking, I have found that the relevant files have been automatically installed, none the less.

I do believe, however, that the offer of the free Windows 10 installation is no longer available, so I guess I'll just stick with the Windows 7 system, which I've been relatively happy with.
Report Spam   Logged

Plato Potato
Global Moderator

Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary Sixth year Anniversary Linux User Mobile User Fifth year Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2016, 02:37:12 pm »

The only downside I can think of for keeping Old Shep 7 around is that eventually MS will stop doing security updates and tech support for it.
Report Spam   Logged
WVaGAL
Forum Owner
Administrator

My Mood: Stressed

Fifth year Anniversary Arcade Highscore Fourth year Anniversary Level 7 Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2016, 06:37:52 pm »

To get Microsoft updates you do countryguy...I bit the bullet and upgraded to windows 10
Report Spam   Logged

Live & Let Live. Be Nice To Each Other. Life Is Short. We don't know what tomorrow holds for us.
countryguy

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2016, 07:58:19 pm »

Actually, as long as my Windows 7 continues to run the few programs I use, I'd just as soon not have "updates".  As with many other products, these days, the "new & improved" versions are, generally, a step backward.
Report Spam   Logged

Plato Potato
Global Moderator

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2016, 11:37:24 am »

Many of the MS updates are security patches to close little mouse-holes in the program hackers have found to sneak their malware in. Usually, when an update, or several, is offered, you can click a button to get more info about each update. You can keep the security patches and refuse the rest if you want.
Report Spam   Logged
WVaGAL
Forum Owner
Administrator

My Mood: Stressed

Fifth year Anniversary Arcade Highscore Fourth year Anniversary Level 7 Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2016, 03:37:36 am »

I like my windows 10 and my new laptop..however I do have problems while scrolling...page gets too big or too small..it must be the new laptop cause I try to use this one like I did old laptop but...it has been a big pain in my butt also... shocked Sad
Report Spam   Logged

Live & Let Live. Be Nice To Each Other. Life Is Short. We don't know what tomorrow holds for us.
Plato Potato
Global Moderator

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2016, 04:39:05 pm »

My wife has somehow learned to use our laptop's touchpad, and back out of whatever evil thing it decided to do. I never got the hang of it, so we got a wireless keyboard and mouse for me. They work through a little bitty link that plugs into the side of the laptop. I never have to touch that demon touchpad; I just have to remember to turn off the keyboard & mouse when I'm done. They run on batteries.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: