Dezarae's Politics & More
March 29, 2024, 06:19:25 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: We Welcome Democrats, Republicans and Independents for Discussions.
Many things are not viewable by guests, so sign up today using a valid email address, "from your server". We have a arcade with tons of games and word games etc. for your enjoyment if politics isn't your thing. We try to have something for everyone!

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links MusicPlayer Jukebox Emoticons Emoticons2 Staff List Login Register  

ABC News

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: ABC News  (Read 582 times)
Tony Light

My Mood: Refreshed

Badges: (View All)
Fourth year Anniversary Level 4 Third year Anniversary 1000 Posts Second year Anniversary Poll Voter
« on: November 16, 2016, 01:26:31 pm »

Democratic Sen. Joe Manchin of West Virginia says his party lost the presidential election because "there was no plan" to help people in his state and other rural states who are struggling to survive economically.

Manchin said Democrats not only didn't have a plan, but also "people think you didn't care."

Manchin, who has joined Senate Democrat's leadership team, said people in his state "feel like a returning Vietnam veteran. My little state of West Virginia has done everything this country's asked of us and then they turn their back on us."

He said West Virginians were so angry they were willing to overlook "offensive rhetoric" from Donald Trump, adding: "If that's not a wake-up call I really don't know what is."

——
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Don Zeigler

My Mood: Sleepy

Mene mene tekel upharsin

Seventh year Anniversary Sixth year Anniversary Apple User Fifth year Anniversary Level 5 Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2016, 07:25:40 pm »

Democratic Sen. Joe Manchin of West Virginia says his party lost the presidential election because "there was no plan" to help people in his state and other rural states who are struggling to survive economically.

Manchin said Democrats not only didn't have a plan, but also "people think you didn't care."

Manchin, who has joined Senate Democrat's leadership team, said people in his state "feel like a returning Vietnam veteran. My little state of West Virginia has done everything this country's asked of us and then they turn their back on us."

He said West Virginians were so angry they were willing to overlook "offensive rhetoric" from Donald Trump, adding: "If that's not a wake-up call I really don't know what is."

——
Republicans don't have a plan, either, other than vague promises to bring coal back. Even you know that's not going to happen. Not even with a coal baron/fake Republican in the governor's office.
Report Spam   Logged

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.
Tony Light

My Mood: Refreshed

Fourth year Anniversary Level 4 Third year Anniversary 1000 Posts Second year Anniversary Poll Voter
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2016, 06:56:03 am »

I agree Don, coal will never be what it once was. Right now coal is providing about 30 percent of our energy needs. It would be nice if we could hold on to that production. China and India could be major markets for our coal. They are still building plants all over their countries. So much for that climate accord.
Report Spam   Logged
Don Zeigler

My Mood: Sleepy

Mene mene tekel upharsin

Seventh year Anniversary Sixth year Anniversary Apple User Fifth year Anniversary Level 5 Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2018, 02:06:30 pm »

I agree Don, coal will never be what it once was. Right now coal is providing about 30 percent of our energy needs. It would be nice if we could hold on to that production. China and India could be major markets for our coal. They are still building plants all over their countries. So much for that climate accord.
China's new 5 year plan actually focuses more on quality of life than construction, which is why the bottom fell out of the met coal market to start with. They are actually opening more domestic mining operations to cut back on coal imports.

When you look at net job gains in coal since Trump took office, there have actually been just a thousand or so new jobs added in the industry nationwide. There has been a slight uptick in demand, but mechanization precludes the need for more actual people.
Report Spam   Logged

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.
hoosier88
Global Moderator

Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary Arcade Highscore Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Level 5
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2018, 08:44:01 am »

When you look at net job gains in coal since Trump took office, there have actually been just a thousand or so new jobs added in the industry nationwide. There has been a slight uptick in demand, but mechanization precludes the need for more actual people.

Yah, but of course mechanization isn't a problem for the longing-to-be coal barons again.  Worse comes to worse, they'll simply slap UMW memberships on the equipment, negotiate some cut-rate dues for them, & then proceed to vote on behalf of the equipment.  So that's what - half of the crew?  If you count rotary cutters, conveyers, the crew movers, gang drills, pumps (water & air), elevators ...

& best of all, equipment never calls in sick, has family emergencies, gets drunk & goes over a cliff ...
Report Spam   Logged
countryguy

Eighth year Anniversary Level 6 Seventh year Anniversary 2500 Posts Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2018, 10:28:20 am »

About the only thing going in the miners' favor, is that the mine owners aren't stupid enuf to think anything is going to bring back coal's dominance in the energy market.  For that reason, they may be hesitant to make the major investments that mass mechanization would require.

The only thing that could save the coal industry, now, would be the total collapse of the natural gas industry.  And that would have to happen before wind, solar, and other renewable energy systems get ramped up enough to carry the bulk of the load.

It would seem that the best strategy for the West Virginia area, would be to make a major move into the development of alternative energy systems.  It's the direction the whole world is going, and the U.S. would be far better off getting in the fray as a leader, than waiting until the industry is filled up.  The worst thing we could do, is to keep fighting the inevitable march of modernization and innovation.  The success of America's industry has always been being the leader in developing new and innovative products.  The cause of our current dilemma, is simply that we no longer lead in that endeavor.
Report Spam   Logged

In this world, a person can DEMAND respect ........ or COMMAND it.

The former will seldom - if ever - achieve the latter.
A159
Administrator

My Mood: Cautious

Nineth year Anniversary Level 6 Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary 5000 Posts Sixth year Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2018, 02:41:35 pm »

We'll see what shakes out after (R)Trump's tariffs and bad ass trade war with China by 2020 emboldened with the Republican's huge tax cuts for the rich. At this point, beaucoup REGULAR folks in the US already have been left behind. Our wallets and wars drags us around by our nuts by the end of the day.
Report Spam   Logged

As assistant Admin, I serve to improve this board's existence to the best of my ability. Keep in mind that, at my age, my abilities are slightly fuzzy.
Plato Potato
Global Moderator

My Mood: Leary

Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary Sixth year Anniversary Linux User Mobile User Fifth year Anniversary
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2018, 04:40:38 pm »

While it's true that China and India have built a lot of coal-fired power plants to feed their burgeoning industrial base, both nations are scrambling to build solar and wind farms as fast as they can. China now has more solar power than the US, and it is building them twice as fast as we are. Construction of new coal-fired plants is falling off.
Report Spam   Logged
countryguy

Eighth year Anniversary Level 6 Seventh year Anniversary 2500 Posts Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2018, 06:33:05 pm »

And instead of seizing the opportunity, and becoming a leader in what is going to be an explosively fast-growing industry, we're going to just sit on our thumbs, in our state of stupid denial, while other countries develop the wind and solar technology, and the equipment to supply the rest of the world.

Oh, yeah -- and while we complain that the rest of the world won't support our oil- and coal-based economy.

We're going to support the fossil fuel industry, no matter what it costs.
Report Spam   Logged

In this world, a person can DEMAND respect ........ or COMMAND it.

The former will seldom - if ever - achieve the latter.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: