Dezarae's Politics & More
March 29, 2024, 08:57:25 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: We Welcome Democrats, Republicans and Independents for Discussions.
Many things are not viewable by guests, so sign up today using a valid email address, "from your server". We have a arcade with tons of games and word games etc. for your enjoyment if politics isn't your thing. We try to have something for everyone!

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links MusicPlayer Jukebox Emoticons Emoticons2 Staff List Login Register  

Foreign Governments Have Been Tampering With U.S. Elections for Decades

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Foreign Governments Have Been Tampering With U.S. Elections for Decades  (Read 400 times)
A159
Administrator

My Mood: Cautious

Badges: (View All)
Nineth year Anniversary Level 6 Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary 5000 Posts Sixth year Anniversary
« on: January 07, 2017, 03:35:36 pm »

Yes, they have! So has the US tampered/influenced foreign elections as well! I never liked it before and I don't like it today! Yet, I know that for elections to come ...... there will be tampering from all the above. I don't know of any fix to election fixes. Do you?

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/07/russia-dnc-hack-donald-trump-foreign-governments-hacking-vietnam-richard-nixon-214111
Foreign Governments Have Been Tampering With U.S. Elections for Decades

By Josh Zeitz

July 27, 2016

In the fall of 1968,
Nixon had an October surprise of his own. In the three weeks leading up to the election, as a newly invigorated Hubert Humphrey barnstormed the nation, touting a platform of “human equality and human opportunity,” crying out for “a spirit of community,” visiting black churches and tearfully celebrating America, “the only country on the face of the earth that has ever dared to try to make what we call a biracial, pluralistic society work,” Nixon’s campaign was using back channels to scuttle the Johnson administration’s negotiations with the various parties in Vietnam.

On November 4, 1979
The hostage crisis proved a weight around President Jimmy Carter’s neck. Throughout the fall of 1980, Carter’s team had hoped against hope for a resolution to the standoff. For a time, it seemed possible that Iran might release the hostages before the election. They had had served their purpose from a propaganda standpoint and were becoming an unnecessary burden to the Islamic government in Tehran. With Iran now locked in a costly war with its neighbor, Iraq, and with the shah dead of cancer, the ayatollah was eager to unfreeze his country’s foreign-held assets. Ronald Reagan’s advisers were also well aware that negotiations between Iran and the United States were nearing a successful resolution. But Reagan also understood that Iran might hold the key to the election—so much so that he deployed his running mate, George H. W. Bush, former President Gerald Ford, and Henry Kissinger to decry foreign “manipulation” of an American election.
Report Spam   Logged

As assistant Admin, I serve to improve this board's existence to the best of my ability. Keep in mind that, at my age, my abilities are slightly fuzzy.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Tony Light

My Mood: Refreshed

Fourth year Anniversary Level 4 Third year Anniversary 1000 Posts Second year Anniversary Poll Voter
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2017, 08:30:54 am »

We also meddle in foreign governments elections. Just recently obama tried to hurt the Israeli elections. Hillary also meddled in Russia's elections and Putin got revenge on her.  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Plato Potato
Global Moderator

My Mood: Leary

Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary Sixth year Anniversary Linux User Mobile User Fifth year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2017, 12:33:43 pm »

We also meddle in foreign governments elections. Just recently obama tried to hurt the Israeli elections. Hillary also meddled in Russia's elections and Putin got revenge on her.  Grin

As usual, you just throw those charges out without any evidence. Fake news, as usual.
Report Spam   Logged
A159
Administrator

My Mood: Cautious

Nineth year Anniversary Level 6 Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary 5000 Posts Sixth year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2017, 01:08:41 pm »

We also meddle in foreign governments elections.
That we do, but again, this takes place on both sides of the pond. Much like spying, just about everybody tries/does it. As the article below suggests, I expect Trumper to give his own influence/intervention a go at it too.

http://yournewswire.com/us-interfered-in-foreign-elections-81-times-in-54-years/

US Interfered In Foreign Elections 81 Times In 54 Years

Posted on December 26, 2016 by Edmondo Burr

Dov Levin, a political scientist at Carnegie Mellon University, amassed a database of US election interference abroad, which shows just how common that practice has been throughout recent US history. According to Levin’s work, the US interfered in 81 foreign elections between 1946 and 2000.

these incidents do not include those that have taken place over the past 16 years. Under Bush, election intervention was a common policy practiced jointly through regime change, as evidenced by Bush’s covert intervention in the Iraqi elections of 2005.

In a 2006 interview, Hillary Clinton argued that allowing Palestine to hold elections was a mistake. “I do not think we should have pushed for an election in the Palestinian territories. I think that was a big mistake,” said Clinton. “And if we were going to push for an election, then we should have made sure that we did something to determine who was going to win.” The same such interference continued later under Obama, such as in the 2015 elections in Haiti.

It is also worth noting that the report does not include the numerous military coups and regime change efforts the US has led in the same time period. Notable military coups of the past century include those which took place in Guatemala, Iran, and Chile – all of which were bank-rolled and executed with US military assistance. Regime change efforts continue to today, particularly in Syria, as US imperialism seeks continue to dominate all other nations in the name of “protecting democracy.” Though President-Elect Trump has pledged to not continue this long-standing practice, it remains to be seen if he will be able to resist the “deep state” or if he will be forced to serve its interests like the Presidents before him.
Report Spam   Logged

As assistant Admin, I serve to improve this board's existence to the best of my ability. Keep in mind that, at my age, my abilities are slightly fuzzy.
countryguy

Eighth year Anniversary Level 6 Seventh year Anniversary 2500 Posts Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2017, 01:16:45 pm »

I noticed that, when listing major coups of the 20th century that we supported/bankrolled, they didn't mention Castro's overthrow of the Batista government, in Cuba.  It was only a couple of years after that, we were supporting an attempt to overthrow Castro (Bay of Pigs).
Report Spam   Logged

In this world, a person can DEMAND respect ........ or COMMAND it.

The former will seldom - if ever - achieve the latter.
Michael Welch

My Mood: Accepted

Fourth year Anniversary 2500 Posts Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary Level 5
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2017, 01:41:44 pm »

"Powers" meddle -- it's their prerogative as they see it. The "lovelight" though between Trump and Putin is rather interesting -- like Reagan and Margaret Thatcher hm.

Jonah Goldberg of National Review noted that the only "issue" Trump has never backtracked on or mitigated at all is his regard for Putin! Hmmmm...
Report Spam   Logged
Tony Light

My Mood: Refreshed

Fourth year Anniversary Level 4 Third year Anniversary 1000 Posts Second year Anniversary Poll Voter
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2017, 07:25:09 am »

As usual, you just throw those charges out without any evidence. Fake news, as usual.

Plato you have to expand your reading from media matters to mad magazine.

http://www.jpost.com/Israel-News/US-strategists-Obama-campaign-interference-backfired-395105
Report Spam   Logged
Plato Potato
Global Moderator

My Mood: Leary

Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary Sixth year Anniversary Linux User Mobile User Fifth year Anniversary
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2017, 11:48:35 pm »

MAD Magazine, eh? So that's where you get all those crazy stories!
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: