Dezarae's Politics & More
March 28, 2024, 03:33:08 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Thanks For Looking Around. Now Sign Up And Join Us! It's Fast & Easy.If You Decide It's Not For You, Then No Problem..

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links MusicPlayer Jukebox Emoticons Emoticons2 Staff List Login Register  

British ex-spy linked with Trump memo goes into hiding

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: British ex-spy linked with Trump memo goes into hiding  (Read 431 times)
A159
Administrator

My Mood: Cautious

Badges: (View All)
Nineth year Anniversary Level 6 Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary 5000 Posts Sixth year Anniversary
« on: January 14, 2017, 03:25:09 pm »

The Golden One has claimed this story to be phony. Whacha think?

http://www.thehindu.com/news/international/British-ex-spy-linked-with-Trump-memo-goes-into-hiding/article17028981.ece

A former British spy is “in fear of his life” and has gone into hiding after being publicly named as the author of a memo that claims Russia has compromising material on United States President-elect Donald Trump.

Christopher Steele, who runs a London-based intelligence firm, left his home in Berkshire, south-east England, earlier this week and had asked his neighbour to look after his cats, BBC reports.

Mr. Steele (52) has been widely named as the author of the memo, published in some U.S. media containing extensive allegations about Mr. Trump’s personal life and his campaign’s relationship with the Russian state. Mr. Trump has dismissed the claims as “fake news” and “phoney stuff.”
The allegations include claims that Moscow has a video recording of Mr. Trump with prostitutes and damaging information about his business activities.
Report Spam   Logged

As assistant Admin, I serve to improve this board's existence to the best of my ability. Keep in mind that, at my age, my abilities are slightly fuzzy.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Plato Potato
Global Moderator

My Mood: Leary

Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary Sixth year Anniversary Linux User Mobile User Fifth year Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 11:59:17 pm »

A few points:

When Steele was with MI6 (the UK's equivalent to our CIA,) he was head of the Russia section, for want of a better term. During his time there, he was aware of several Russians who disappeared without a trace after speaking out against Putin. The Russian technique of luring businessmen into sexual adventures, secretly recorded, with KGB prostitutes is widespread. His fear of retaliation is well founded. Steele has embarrassed Putin and his new ally Trump with his dossier.

Every liberal news source has been careful to point out that nothing in Steele's 20-page dossier has been substantiated or backed up by any other source. Some of them published Steele's 2-page summary, and one or two published the whole 20 pages. Some journalists have criticized the publication of the document.

The conservative media are nearly unanimous in condemning Steele is the strongest terms. The president-elect has angrily scoffed at the dossier, but sources close to him say he read only the 2-page summary.
Report Spam   Logged
A159
Administrator

Nineth year Anniversary Level 6 Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary 5000 Posts Sixth year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2017, 02:07:47 pm »

His fear of retaliation is well founded. Steele has embarrassed Putin and his new ally Trump with his dossier.

Help me to further understand whom the claims are directed at, PP.

author of a memo that claims Russia has compromising material on United States President-elect Donald Trump.

In your explanation, of which I appreciate, you had it that both Putin and Trump were targeted in Steele's memo. I'm reading that the memo (compromising material) was directed at Trump .... by Russia but exposed by Steele. If true, then wouldn't this suggest that Steele is afraid with what Trump may have done to him more than Putin? It really looks like Putin had the goods on Trump.... and possibly was using it as leverage for later on down the road (if ever needed). IMHO
Report Spam   Logged

As assistant Admin, I serve to improve this board's existence to the best of my ability. Keep in mind that, at my age, my abilities are slightly fuzzy.
Plato Potato
Global Moderator

Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary Sixth year Anniversary Linux User Mobile User Fifth year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2017, 03:02:38 pm »

Trump is very fond of retaliation in his business life, even to family members, but he never arranged to have anybody "disappeared" or assassinated, as Putin has done to his critics. So, Steele has more to fear from Putin.
Report Spam   Logged
Michael Welch

My Mood: Accepted

Fourth year Anniversary 2500 Posts Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary Level 5
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2017, 03:59:45 pm »

It's like a John Le Carre novel!...
Report Spam   Logged
Plato Potato
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2017, 05:29:37 pm »

Yeah, but remember that Le Carre was a spy for MI6.
Report Spam   Logged
hoosier88
Global Moderator

Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary Arcade Highscore Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Level 5
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2017, 07:44:18 pm »

Yah, but I always got the impression from le Carré's novels that he wasn't fond of the American cousins.  He seemed to think (or maybe just his characters did) that the US didn't do anything particularly heroic, or clever, or something - to deserve being the Top Dog in the kennel of the World.  I can't tell if he (or his characters) resent that the US didn't establish colonies everywhere of importance - & instead relied on our economic/technological & leading media presence in the World to hold influence, rather than the physical presence that the UK & Commonwealth nations pioneered.  (Although we did & still do have a military/political presence in a lot of the World too.)

UK didn't seem very fond of our melting pot society, either.  I think they would have rather we'd emulated the UK, rather than kicked over the traces & gone (more or less) our own way.  Who knew that UK & much of Western Civ. in Europe would also go down the path of increasing racial, ethnic, religious diversity?  In retrospect, we may look better & better to the Continentals - especially as they're having problems integrating their waves of immigration.

Report Spam   Logged
A159
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2017, 03:25:01 pm »

the US didn't establish colonies everywhere of importance -

After reading MW's, PP's and h88's posts, I wonder if Trumper is molding himself after Putin in way that he thinks that the US, under his reality presidency, will now militarily establish worldwide golf course colonies. Lets hope that we never find Steele buried under one of them.
 Evil
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: