Dezarae's Politics & More
April 20, 2024, 03:44:54 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Thanks For Looking Around. Now Sign Up And Join Us! It's Fast & Easy.If You Decide It's Not For You, Then No Problem..

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links MusicPlayer Jukebox Emoticons Emoticons2 Staff List Login Register  

Who was it?

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Who was it?  (Read 262 times)
Tony Light

My Mood: Refreshed

Badges: (View All)
Fourth year Anniversary Level 4 Third year Anniversary 1000 Posts Second year Anniversary Poll Voter
« on: January 17, 2017, 11:36:09 am »

I remember one of our liberal friends telling me that China was much different as far as smog was concerned. YEP. Lung cleansing trips.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/asia/china/articles/chinese-tourists-seek-lung-cleansing-trips-with-growing-air-pollution-smog-in-china/
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

countryguy

Eighth year Anniversary Level 6 Seventh year Anniversary 2500 Posts Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2017, 03:19:48 pm »

Hey!!!

I remember those.

As a lifetime resident of northern Wisconsin, I well remember the people who used to come from the large metropolitan areas -- especially those in southern California -- to breathe clean air, for a week or two.

That was before the Clean Air Act, and the EPA.

I expect we'll see them again, a few years down the road -- after Trump, Ryan, McConnell, and the rest of the Republican regressive party manages to do away with the Clean Air Act and the EPA.

Well ----- it'll be good for the tourism industry here, in northern Wisconsin, I guess.
Report Spam   Logged

In this world, a person can DEMAND respect ........ or COMMAND it.

The former will seldom - if ever - achieve the latter.
Tony Light

Fourth year Anniversary Level 4 Third year Anniversary 1000 Posts Second year Anniversary Poll Voter
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2017, 09:35:01 am »

Nice deflection.  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
countryguy

Eighth year Anniversary Level 6 Seventh year Anniversary 2500 Posts Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2017, 12:33:38 pm »

The fact is, China is starting to do something about it.  In the US, we're about to do something about it, too -- if Republican plans come to fruition.

Much of China's pollution is coming from two main sources -- "dirty" cars, and "dirty" coal.  China's economy has expanded at a tremendous pace, in recent years, resulting in a very rapid increase in the number of people driving cars and trucks.  Emission standards being much more lax than in western countries, means this tremendous number of highly-polluting vehicles is increasing the amount of vehicle-generated pollution exponentially.

The fast economic growth in China has been accompanied by rapid industrial growth.  Again, since China's emissions standards have been much lower than western countries, a large share of that industrial growth has been powered by coal -- "dirty", high-sulfur coal, with little or no pollution-abatement measures being taken.  The result is what your linked article talks about -- high pollution, high smog levels, and the resulting respiratory distresses and disorders among the population.  Higher-income Chinese can take these "... lung-cleansing trips".  The vast majority of Chinese people, however, are forced to try to deal with the sometimes-unbreathable air.

China, however, is beginning to deal with the problem.  They're switching their industry from "dirty" coal, to cleaner variants.  They're initiating increasingly strict emissions standards, both for industry, and for automotive uses.  They're investing heavily in "clean energy" alternatives, including wind, solar, and, most noticeably, hydro-electric generation.  Unfortunately, results from these measures take time - a long time.  But, that time can't begin, until the proper steps are taken.

The US, on the other hand, started dealing with such issues years - decades - ago.  We passed the Clean Air Act -- that series of regulations that have galled conservatives to no end.  We established the EPA, to monitor and enforce anti-pollution regulations -- again, much to the chagrin of conservatives.  We strengthened vehicle emission standards.  And, we've begun to invest heavily in alternative, "clean energy" sources.  And, guess what?  Yup.  Conservatives are dead-set against those, too.

The new Republican administration has vowed to "relax regulations".  Republicans in congress have introduced legislation to repeal much, if not all, of the Clean Air Act.  They have called for the elimination of the Environmental Protection Agency.  The Republican agenda calls for an end to subsidies aimed at the further development of clean energy generation.  (In fact, Republicans in Wyoming have introduced legislation which would ban the use of energy from solar and wind sources.)

Thus, my comment, above.  I do remember all the people who used to come to northern Wisconsin, just to be able to breathe clean air, at least for a week or two.  These days, thanks to the Clean Air Act, the EPA, higher vehicle emissions standards, the move to clean energy generation, the reduction in the use of high-sulfur coal, and other environmental regulations, they can breathe clean air at home.

But, if the Republican agenda becomes the law of the land, we'll be seeing these folks, again -- on the same kind of "... lung-cleansing trips" the wealthy Chinese people are taking.  Worse, though, will be the vast majority of American people, who can't afford such a luxury -- the ones who are sick and dying, so that wealthy Republicans can become even wealthier.
Report Spam   Logged

Plato Potato
Global Moderator

My Mood: Leary

Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary Sixth year Anniversary Linux User Mobile User Fifth year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2017, 03:17:14 pm »

I remember one of our liberal friends telling me that China was much different as far as smog was concerned.

You say you "remember" that? Who do you remember said it?

By the way, NPR says China has cancelled plans to build 100 new coal-fired power plants. Interesting.
Report Spam   Logged
hoosier88
Global Moderator

Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary Arcade Highscore Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Level 5
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2017, 05:04:00 pm »

Yah, China may have factored in the power v. health impacts & healthcare costs.  Given drinking water scarcities, food adulteration, drug counterfeits - & the demographic trap that China put itself into - each family wanted @ least 1 boy to carry on the family name - the Chinese gov. may have decided that the long-term outlook was better if they forego the extra power plants.
Report Spam   Logged
Tony Light

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2017, 07:28:46 am »

NPR says?  Grin  China says?  Grin  When will they start? Seems you guys will believe anything. India? Deranged left?  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
countryguy

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2017, 08:48:39 am »

Grin    Grin    Grin    Grin    Grin

I love it, when a Trump supporter calls anyone else gullible.
Report Spam   Logged

steelydan
Global Moderator

My Mood: Happy

I Had Too Much To Dream Last Night.

Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2017, 06:53:37 am »

Or they think Obama wouldn't have beaten him head on...  idiot
Report Spam   Logged

Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward.

http://dezaraespoliticsmore.freesmfhosting.com/index.php
Plato Potato
Global Moderator

My Mood: Leary

Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary Sixth year Anniversary Linux User Mobile User Fifth year Anniversary
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2017, 06:00:13 pm »

Here's a few other sources.

http://www.sciencealert.com/the-end-of-coal-is-near-china-just-scrapped-103-power-plants

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-coal-idUSKBN151090

http://arstechnica.com/science/2017/01/chinese-government-has-ordered-103-planned-coal-plants-to-be-cancelled/

http://www.vox.com/energy-and-environment/2017/1/17/14294906/china-cancels-coal-plants

Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: