Dezarae's Politics & More
April 20, 2024, 01:19:22 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: We Welcome Democrats, Republicans and Independents for Discussions.
Many things are not viewable by guests, so sign up today using a valid email address, "from your server". We have a arcade with tons of games and word games etc. for your enjoyment if politics isn't your thing. We try to have something for everyone!

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links MusicPlayer Jukebox Emoticons Emoticons2 Staff List Login Register  

Ex-POW Bowe Bergdahl finally sentenced

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ex-POW Bowe Bergdahl finally sentenced  (Read 216 times)
Plato Potato
Global Moderator

My Mood: Leary

Badges: (View All)
Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary Sixth year Anniversary Linux User Mobile User Fifth year Anniversary
« on: November 03, 2017, 01:02:45 pm »

http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/03/politics/bowe-bergdahl-sentenced/index.html

Well, that's over, though some folks will choose to rail about it for years.

Fort Bragg, North Carolina (CNN)Bowe Bergdahl received a dishonorable discharge from the US Army but will avoid prison time for desertion and misbehavior before the enemy after abandoning his outpost in Afghanistan in 2009, a military judge ruled Friday.

The judge also ruled that Bergdahl's rank be reduced from sergeant to private. Additionally, he will be required to pay a $1,000 fine from his salary for the next 10 months. ...
Bergdahl's attorneys asked the judge for leniency during sentencing hearings, arguing he had a previously undiagnosed mental illness when he left his post.
"Hypothetically, he probably should not have been in the Army," said Capt. Nina Banks, one of his military defense attorneys, in her closing argument.
Bergdahl suffered from numerous mental illnesses, including schizotypal personality disorder and post-traumatic stress disorder, according to Dr. Charles Morgan, a forensic psychiatrist and professor at the University of New Haven and Yale University. He testified for the defense Wednesday.

Morgan said Bergdahl was raised in a tense and sometimes scary household that contributed to social anxiety and cognitive defects that he was suffering from before he enlisted in the Army.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

A159
Administrator

My Mood: Cautious

Badges: (View All)
Nineth year Anniversary Level 6 Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary 5000 Posts Sixth year Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2017, 12:47:51 pm »

What amazed me more than anything about this case was how long it took for them to address the issue followed by military punishment. I was AWOL (personal family matter) in the states before I went to 'Nam and I was court martialed/punished (fined, busted down and incarcerated (chain gang - hard labor)) a day or two after I reported to my port of call. Of course, my AWOL case wasn't as dramatic as private Bergdahls' was, but his court martial should not have gone past 1 yr in my opinion. He should not be incarcerated in my opinion either. He's already served time (as POW) and if not mistaken, he was placed in the stockade once released from medical. I do agree with him being discharged.   
Report Spam   Logged

As assistant Admin, I serve to improve this board's existence to the best of my ability. Keep in mind that, at my age, my abilities are slightly fuzzy.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: