Dezarae's Politics & More
March 28, 2024, 09:19:59 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: WELCOME TO DEZARAE'S POLITICS & MORE!
We Have Been Here Since January 2012 & Still Going..Some Features & Topics Are Not Viewable By Guests. If You Wish To Register, "Please Provide A Verifiable Valid Email Address", "From Your Server" (Who You Have Internet With) When You Sign Up.."We Do Check Your Email To See If It Is Verifiable..Also we no longer accept Yahoo email accounts..If We Can't Verify Your Email Your Registration Request Will Be Denied, And You Will Have To Sign Up Again." We Would Love To Have You Onboard!We also c heck to make sure yu IP address is valid.

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links MusicPlayer Jukebox Emoticons Emoticons2 Staff List Login Register  

The Electrical Abuse of Women: Does Anyone Care?

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Electrical Abuse of Women: Does Anyone Care?  (Read 389 times)
Tabby

My Mood: Accepted

Badges: (View All)
Search Fourth year Anniversary Level 4 Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« on: December 26, 2017, 02:22:46 pm »

https://www.counterpunch.org/2017/12/22/the-electrical-abuse-of-women-does-anyone-care/

. . .
In a comprehensive review of research on ECT, Read and Arnold report that there is “no evidence that ECT is more effective than placebo for depression reduction or suicide prevention.” They conclude, “Given the well-documented high risk of persistent memory dysfunction, the cost-benefit analysis for ECT remains so poor that its use cannot be scientifically, or ethically, justified.”

This begs the question of why this brain-damaging electrical abuse of predominantly middle-aged women, unlike the sexual abuse of younger women and girls, is not today addressed by most high-profile feminists. One renowned feminist who did speak out against ECT was Kate Millett (author of the 1990 book Loony Bin Trip), but she died in September 2017 after receiving little attention in recent years. There continues to be women such as psychologist Bonnie Burstow (author of the 2006 article “Electroshock as a Form of Violence Against Women”) who do see ECT as a hugely important issue for women, but Burstow is renowned only among ex-patient “psychiatric survivor” activists and dissident mental health professionals.

Today, many self-identified feminists, like most other Americans, apparently have uncritically accepted the American Psychiatric Association’s proclamation that “extensive research has found ECT to be highly effective for the relief of major depression”—a promulgation that has no scientific basis. In recent years, psychiatry’s assertions have been uncritically accepted, perhaps because the APA has quite effectively marketed the idea that questioning psychiatry is like challenging evolution, global warming, and science itself.

The reality is that the APA and mainstream psychiatry has, for quite some time, disregarded science, specifically the standard scientific methodology by which treatments such as ECT are evaluated. Standard scientific methodology requires a placebo-control group, without which it cannot be determined as to whether the treatment itself or mere patient expectations result in positive outcomes. Psychiatry has long abandoned studying ECT utilizing a placebo-control, no doubt because in the past such methodology showed ECT to be ineffective.

. . .

Wow...I had no idea this was going on.  This is akin to torture.  I thought we found this out?  What could be the reason this is still going on?

“Women are subjected to electroshock 2 to 3 times as often as men,” notes Bonnie Burstow. There is no controversy that women are far likelier to receive ECT treatment than men. The 2016 Texas report noted females received 68% of the ECT treatments. While men too are treated with ECT, similar to the statistics on sexual abuse, men receive ECT at a much lower rate. With respect to age, Texas reported that 61% of those who received ECT were 45 years and older (age within gender was not broken down in the Texas report).

Psychiatrist commonly recommend ECT to severely depressed patients after various antidepressants fail to improve symptoms. Psychiatry increasingly focuses on symptoms and not causes of our malaise, and so it often fails to address obvious sources of depression such as loss, unhealed traumas, and other overwhelming pains. The Interactional Nature of Depression (1999), edited by psychologists Thomas Joiner and James Coyne, documents hundreds of studies on the interpersonal nature of depression; in one study of unhappily married women who were diagnosed with depression, 60 percent of them believed their unhappy marriage was the primary cause of their depression. It is often an unhappy marriage or isolation and loneliness that fuels depression, but it is easier and more lucrative to offer ECT after antidepressants fail than to make all therapeutic efforts at ameliorating the source of depression.

My stars. This is sick.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

A159
Administrator

My Mood: Cautious

Nineth year Anniversary Level 6 Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary 5000 Posts Sixth year Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2017, 03:29:17 pm »

I was under a strong impression that shock treatment was outlawed by the 1970s!! Apparently not. Must be a state by state law thingy.
Report Spam   Logged

As assistant Admin, I serve to improve this board's existence to the best of my ability. Keep in mind that, at my age, my abilities are slightly fuzzy.
A159
Administrator

My Mood: Cautious

Nineth year Anniversary Level 6 Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary 5000 Posts Sixth year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2017, 03:29:17 pm »

I was under a strong impression that shock treatment was outlawed by the 1970s!! Apparently not. Must be a state by state law thingy.
Report Spam   Logged

As assistant Admin, I serve to improve this board's existence to the best of my ability. Keep in mind that, at my age, my abilities are slightly fuzzy.
countryguy

Eighth year Anniversary Level 6 Seventh year Anniversary 2500 Posts Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2017, 04:30:59 pm »

As for why it's happening more to women, than men, consider how many more women than men are being treated for depression, period.  I've seen estimates that as many as 68% of women are on prescription anti-depressants.  Electro-shock therapy was (and, apparently still is) the next step.
Report Spam   Logged

In this world, a person can DEMAND respect ........ or COMMAND it.

The former will seldom - if ever - achieve the latter.
hoosier88
Global Moderator

Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary Arcade Highscore Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Level 5
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2017, 05:40:34 pm »

In TX?  Well, offhand, the rootin'-tootin' state o' Texas likely considers ECST as a mere warm-up (ahem) for later state executions.  Although, of course, ol' sparky has been retired - or put in the TX Inquisition Museum.  Still, it being TX & the US South 'n' all - the good ol' boys likely take it personal when some Southern belle is the least bit uppity & fails to show them the proper respect & all.  So what the Hell - jangle up her synapses a bit - kinda like shakin' the Yahtzee dice in the cup, doncha know?  Toss 'em out & see what the score is.

No, the late great republic o' Texas has had a lot of practice - heck, their AG just issued an opinion that unless a church or synagogue or whatever in Texas formally forbids it (specified size of notice to be posted, wording, etc.), why, anyone with a valid concealed carry firearms permit can sashay on into the temple & stand guard while attending to his or her worship service - just in case, if you know what I mean.

Yah, Texas practiced active neglect & abuse on the Mexicans who were there, the Native Peoples who were there before them all, the Black slaves they thoughtfully brought along with 'em to practice on, the Yankees & Northerners who happened to wander through - all kinds of people. 

No, I wasn't aware that this was still going on.  & I suppose it's a step up from using a cattle prod on enemies of the state - but not much, in my view.  Just another barbaric practice to use on helpless wards of the state.  Why am I not surprised? 
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: