Dezarae's Politics & More
April 18, 2024, 12:38:41 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Thanks For Looking Around. Now Sign Up And Join Us! It's Fast & Easy.If You Decide It's Not For You, Then No Problem..

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links MusicPlayer Jukebox Emoticons Emoticons2 Staff List Login Register  

Kasich mulls 2020 run, including possible Trump primary challenge: report

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Kasich mulls 2020 run, including possible Trump primary challenge: report  (Read 395 times)
A159
Administrator

My Mood: Cautious

Badges: (View All)
Nineth year Anniversary Level 6 Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary 5000 Posts Sixth year Anniversary
« on: February 23, 2018, 02:21:18 pm »

I've been thinking that he'll go for it. The political scene has gotten so crazy toxic that it's helped make Kasich appear smartly sane.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/kasich-mulls-2020-run-including-possible-trump-primary-challenge-report/ar-BBJuGpk?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartanntp
Report Spam   Logged

As assistant Admin, I serve to improve this board's existence to the best of my ability. Keep in mind that, at my age, my abilities are slightly fuzzy.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

countryguy

Eighth year Anniversary Level 6 Seventh year Anniversary 2500 Posts Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 05:55:21 pm »

Question is ........... can he run as a Republican, Now?  Kasich has been bucking the party, especially the Trump camp of it, kinda big-time, since the convention.  He may have torched a couple too many bridges, to hope to have a chance at a Republican nomination, any more.  He was on pretty thin ice with the radical right, last year, already.

A lot of how the 2020 primaries go, is going to depend on how strongly people like McConnell and Ryan (or their successors) support him, by then.  Another three years is a pretty long time for them to swallow whatever comes out of Trump's behind, as they've been doing.  If they desert Trump, you may well see a primary challenge -- quite possibly by Pence, who wouldn't hesitate to abandon a sinking ship.
Report Spam   Logged

In this world, a person can DEMAND respect ........ or COMMAND it.

The former will seldom - if ever - achieve the latter.
hoosier88
Global Moderator

Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary Arcade Highscore Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Level 5
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2018, 06:18:05 pm »

A lot of how the 2020 primaries go, is going to depend on how strongly people like McConnell and Ryan (or their successors) support him, by then.  Another three years is a pretty long time for them to swallow whatever comes out of Trump's behind, as they've been doing.  If they desert Trump, you may well see a primary challenge -- quite possibly by Pence, who wouldn't hesitate to abandon a sinking ship.

VP Pence, Trump's insurance (his wall, if you will) against embarrassing questions from the Evangelical Right?  How could Pence unilaterally withdraw the Mandate of Heaven?  I don't think it can be done - if you compare Trump/Pence to LBJ/Humphrey, then Trump is to LBJ as Pence is to Humphrey.  Naw, they're fused @ the hip.  They're more or less conjoined twins, & separating them would likely prove (politically) fatal to both.  Not that I'd miss either one from the national scene, to be sure ...

As for any GOP resistance to Trump - well, they'd better hurry.  The GOP survived Nixon & W Bush, but I'm not sure they can survive the melting down of the national credit cards & all that piled-on unnecessary debt coming due & eating up all the social services' budget.  Of course, Trump will be long gone by then - but I quite doubt that Pence - if he's still around by then - will want to answer any questions in re.

Interesting times, no doubt about it.
Report Spam   Logged
A159
Administrator

My Mood: Cautious

Nineth year Anniversary Level 6 Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary 5000 Posts Sixth year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2018, 02:59:24 pm »

Question is ........... can he run as a Republican, Now?  Kasich has been bucking the party, especially the Trump camp of it
That's a legit question. My viewpoint has me now believing that the because the GOP is bleeding so badly that Kasich or any other Republican who has what several supporters feel 'creditability' could rally the Republican Party back together again. Kasich states that he's considering this if there is an opening. That opening would be if Trump isn't in the primary. I assume that to mean that he'll be impeached before 2020. Or resign. I agree with h88 that Pence is about as damaged (and connected to Trump) as Trump is. What the Dems might do is make darn sure that everyone knows how much Pence is same same as Trump.... giving a better chance for a Dem to win in 2020 but also opening that door to someone like Kasich.

The pending question at this time. Who can run against the Republican Party or Kasich as the more fiscally responsible candidate? Not just talk but actions.
Report Spam   Logged

As assistant Admin, I serve to improve this board's existence to the best of my ability. Keep in mind that, at my age, my abilities are slightly fuzzy.
countryguy

Eighth year Anniversary Level 6 Seventh year Anniversary 2500 Posts Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2018, 04:19:25 pm »

When Kasich was in congress, I almost kinda liked the guy.  Yeah, he was more "fiscally conservative" than I would prefer, but he did seem somewhat open to a reasoned argument.  And, (I shudder to think about it) compromise.

But, presidential candidate Kasich, last year, was a whole 'nother candidate, joining in on their game of seeing who could "outconservative" and "out-God" the others.  Which begs the question -- if he were to win the presidency, which John Kasich would it be?  After putting up with the numb-nuts we have, now, I'm not, really, anxious to take a chance.
Report Spam   Logged

In this world, a person can DEMAND respect ........ or COMMAND it.

The former will seldom - if ever - achieve the latter.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: