Dezarae's Politics & More
March 28, 2024, 03:35:26 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: http://dezaraespoliticsmore.freesmfhosting.com/

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links MusicPlayer Jukebox Emoticons Emoticons2 Staff List Login Register  

Veterans Day 2018: What's open and closed on Monday after the federal holiday

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Veterans Day 2018: What's open and closed on Monday after the federal holiday  (Read 226 times)
A159
Administrator

My Mood: Cautious

Badges: (View All)
Nineth year Anniversary Level 6 Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary 5000 Posts Sixth year Anniversary
« on: November 12, 2018, 09:56:54 am »

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2018/11/12/veterans-day-2018-whats-closed-monday-federal-holiday/1974664002/

USA Today NetworkAshley May, USA TODAY Published 9:01 a.m. ET Nov. 12, 2018

Veterans Day fell on Sunday this year. Many government offices as well as other businesses recognize it on Monday by closing offices.

The federal holiday falls on November 11 every year. It was first recognized as Armistice Day in 1919, marking the date when Germany and the allies signed a 1918 agreement to cease World War I hostilities. President Woodrow Wilson said the day would honor "those who died in the country’s service and with gratitude for the victory.”

When holidays fall on weekends, offices are closed on the adjacent workday.

Here's what's open and closed on Monday, Nov. 12:
Report Spam   Logged

As assistant Admin, I serve to improve this board's existence to the best of my ability. Keep in mind that, at my age, my abilities are slightly fuzzy.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

A159
Administrator

Nineth year Anniversary Level 6 Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary 5000 Posts Sixth year Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2018, 01:26:11 pm »

Being naturally partial to Nam Vets, I thot it would be interesting as a reminder to a few who are not considered being 'mildly famous' Nam Vets below. A salute from me to all that has served.

https://www.history.com/topics/vietnam-war/famous-american-vietnam-vets

Other Famous American Vietnam Vets
Roger Staubach, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys from 1969-79 and the winner of two Super Bowl titles, graduated from the U.S. Naval Academy at Annapolis and served a tour of duty in the U.S. Navy in Vietnam before joining the fledgling National Football League (NFL). Longtime U.S. senator from Tennessee and vice president (1993-2001) Al Gore enlisted in the U.S. Army after his graduation from Harvard and served in Vietnam as a military reporter from 1969 to 1971. Steve Kroft, who made his name as a longtime correspondent on the CBS News program “60 Minutes,” also served the Army in Vietnam as a correspondent and photographer for “Pacific Stars and Stripes.”

Among the many other well-known American Vietnam veterans in various fields include Fred Smith, the founder of Federal Express; Craig Venter, the biologist who in 2001 announced the successful sequencing of the human genome; Tom Ridge, the former Pennsylvania governor who served as the first U.S. Secretary of Homeland Security; former Governor Gray Davis of California; John Kerry, the U.S. senator from Massachusetts and 2004 Democratic presidential nominee; “Wheel of Fortune” host Pat Sajak; the writers Tim O’Brien, Tracy Kidder and Nelson DeMille; and the actor Dennis Franz.
Report Spam   Logged

As assistant Admin, I serve to improve this board's existence to the best of my ability. Keep in mind that, at my age, my abilities are slightly fuzzy.
countryguy

Eighth year Anniversary Level 6 Seventh year Anniversary 2500 Posts Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2018, 01:57:46 pm »

Does that happen irregardless of whether it rains, or not?
Report Spam   Logged

In this world, a person can DEMAND respect ........ or COMMAND it.

The former will seldom - if ever - achieve the latter.
A159
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2018, 02:04:23 pm »

What got to me a little was when our businesses started giving a day off to all employees. I remember after coming home, all the jobs that I had didn't let me off work. Today, it appears that most now, get that day off …. a paid holiday off. I always did think that Vets should get that day off. What's next, Sweetest Day ….. no mail, banks closed and most everybody getting that day off?
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: