Dezarae's Politics & More
March 29, 2024, 05:01:55 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: http://dezaraespoliticsmore.freesmfhosting.com/

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links MusicPlayer Jukebox Emoticons Emoticons2 Staff List Login Register  

About the Discussion of "MAGA Hats"

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: About the Discussion of "MAGA Hats"  (Read 302 times)
countryguy

Badges: (View All)
Eighth year Anniversary Level 6 Seventh year Anniversary 2500 Posts Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary
« on: January 25, 2019, 12:59:36 pm »

The recent incident involving young men from a Catholic high school in Kentucky, a "black Israelites" group, and a native American, has started a rather heated discussion about Trump's signature "Make America Great Again" hats.  A good place to see this, is in the "comments" following any news story about the incident.  There are a few trends in these "comments" sections, that I find to be especially notable:

(1) -- almost none of the commenters are interested in having a serious, rational discussion of the issues involved (and I do mean None --- conservative or liberal;

(2) -- how the incident happened, and who is to "blame" for it, almost exclusively depends on whether the commenter considers himself/herself to be a conservative, or a liberal;

(3) -- what the MAGA hat represents, also almost exclusively depends on the political leanings of the individual commenter.  To conservatives, it represents the positive promises Trump made, during his 2016 campaign.  To a liberal, it represents what they perceive to be the negative aspects of Trump, himself.  In fact, there seems to be a yuuuge difference among conservatives, just what the "... again" part means.  Like the WWII era?  Like the 1950's?  Or the 1980's?  Does it mean the period before the civil rights movement?  Does it refer to economic conditions, or social changes?  Or our military strength?  Our international standing?  Just what part of America do they think is not great now?

(4) -- Conservative commenters, overwhelmingly, accused liberals as being opposed to America being great, because of their opposition to Trump's "Make America Great Again" campaign slogan.  Their stretch to stating such hyperbole is classic misdirection.  They're not opposed to America being great, at all.  What they are opposed to is Trump's idea of what it would take, for "... America to be great, again".  They perceive that Trump's idea of a great America is very much akin to what Hitler's idea of what a great Germany would have been.  They formed this perception from Trump's own words and actions.

(5) -- when scrolling through the comments following several such news articles, this morning, I couldn't help noticing a very disturbing trend -- typified by the following posted comment, "I have a red MAGA cap, a white one, brown one, black one and a Trump 2020 cap, wear them along with my 357. You can talk and look at my cap when I have it on but do not touch it or you'll be hearing something that is loud."  Only Trump supporters posted such threats.  Only Trump supporters equated wearing MAGA hats and having guns.  I didn't see any posts that objected to what the caps stand for, and threatened violence against those who wore them.

I won't get into the boorishness, the name-calling, the rudeness displayed in these comments sections -- those things have become such a commonality all across our society (by pretty much all groups within it), these days, that they're not even noteworthy, anymore.  Actually, I blame the anonymity of the internet, and the rise of social media, for most of the "rude and crude" that typifies so, so much of our social interactions, these days.  But, there's no denying that the current state of our politics still manages to amplify it.  I can't help thinking that that's the most urgent way that America needs to be "... made great again".  Until we can talk civilly to each other, there's really no chance of this country coming together, enough, to solve anything else.
Report Spam   Logged

In this world, a person can DEMAND respect ........ or COMMAND it.

The former will seldom - if ever - achieve the latter.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

A159
Administrator

My Mood: Cautious

Nineth year Anniversary Level 6 Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary 5000 Posts Sixth year Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2019, 12:56:59 pm »

At first glance with this standoff controversy between the young whities and that Am Indian made me so angry! Seeing those stupid MAGA hats on those punk azz whities angered me more. This is Trump attitude in full force. In all of its ignorance. There's no doubt what MAGA really stands for. Spoiled ignorant sh*ts who will push defenseless minorities around and laugh about it like 3 yr old brats on tantrums. It's all hard to watch. I fear that one day, I may be confronted by such ignorance in fear of my life. Then I fear what I may do in reaction to them. All this just when I thot things wouldn't get worse post Goober. 
Report Spam   Logged

As assistant Admin, I serve to improve this board's existence to the best of my ability. Keep in mind that, at my age, my abilities are slightly fuzzy.
Tony Light

My Mood: Refreshed

Fourth year Anniversary Level 4 Third year Anniversary 1000 Posts Second year Anniversary Poll Voter
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2019, 02:08:13 pm »

Turns out the Indian was the trouble maker. Libs just cant handle the truth.
Report Spam   Logged
A159
Administrator

My Mood: Cautious

Nineth year Anniversary Level 6 Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary 5000 Posts Sixth year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2019, 03:49:50 pm »

Did that "Indian" get arrested for being a "trouble maker"? I'm thinking no. I may be wrong but I think that the main student who stood up in the Am Indian's face mocking him, has apologized. If true, he should have and good on that student for manning up.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/ct-kentucky-students-in-maga-hats-mock-native-american-20190119-story.html
Catholic high school students in 'MAGA' hats mock Native American after D.C. rally, could face expulsion
Report Spam   Logged

As assistant Admin, I serve to improve this board's existence to the best of my ability. Keep in mind that, at my age, my abilities are slightly fuzzy.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: