Dezarae's Politics & More
March 29, 2024, 08:11:07 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: http://dezaraespoliticsmore.freesmfhosting.com/

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links MusicPlayer Jukebox Emoticons Emoticons2 Staff List Login Register  

Trump announces deal for government to reopen for three weeks

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Trump announces deal for government to reopen for three weeks  (Read 431 times)
A159
Administrator

My Mood: Cautious

Badges: (View All)
Nineth year Anniversary Level 6 Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary 5000 Posts Sixth year Anniversary
« on: January 25, 2019, 01:41:42 pm »

I have to give Pelosi tons of credit for standing up to bubble head Trump. Her mission was to end this insane shutdown and save the ppl from losing their livelihood because rich b*tch Trump threw a tantrum …. again. It's only for 3 weeks, this reprieve, but at least it make keep some govt workers from becoming homeless.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/trump-announces-deal-for-government-to-reopen-for-three-weeks-ending-longest-shutdown-no-money-for-his-border-wall/ar-BBSJ8Xe?ocid=spartanntp

John Wagner, Erica Werner, Mike DeBonis

© Kevin Lamarque President Donald Trump walks out of the Oval Office to announce a deal to end the partial government shutdown in the Rose Garden on January 25, 2019.
Breaking news: The House and Senate will vote on legislation to reopen the government until Feb. 15. During that period, lawmakers will discuss funds for border security and Trump’s demand for $5.7 billion for the U.S.-Mexico border wall.

The outcome was a win for Democrats and House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.), who had insisted on no negotiations until the government was reopened.

Previous report:
Congressional leaders and President Trump have reached a tentative deal to temporarily reopen the government and continue talks on Trump’s demand for border wall money, Capitol Hill officials said Friday.

With Trump’s approval, the pact would reopen shuttered government departments for the three weeks while leaving the issue of $5.7 billion for the U.S.-Mexico border wall to further talks.
Report Spam   Logged

As assistant Admin, I serve to improve this board's existence to the best of my ability. Keep in mind that, at my age, my abilities are slightly fuzzy.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

countryguy

Eighth year Anniversary Level 6 Seventh year Anniversary 2500 Posts Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2019, 09:05:11 am »

While I'm quite pleased with the outcome, myself, I have to admit to being somewhat disappointed by the gloating I'm seeing, from Pelosi, Schumer, and quite a number of their supporters.  Everyone's familiar with the concept of a "sore loser". I'm not so sure most people recognize that there can be such a thing as a "sore winner", as well. 

We've all seen them.  Their gloating and in-your-face behavior are quite likely to make us never want to play with them, again -- and, if we have to compete with them again, in the future, we'll be more determined than ever, to make sure they don't have a chance to gloat at our expense, again. 

At this point, we've only played the first inning.  The first quarter.  The first round.  Whatever analogy works for you, it means that the game still isn't over.  We may be ahead, after the first period, but the second, and maybe subsequent periods, are still coming.  We have yet to play the second quarter, which is due to start in three weeks.

We all know Donald Trump.  We're familiar with his ego.  We've seen how easily it can be bruised (in fact, it's a popular subject of ridicule).  We well know that he bears grudges.  And, we all know that, if there's a way to cheat, and twist the rules in his favor, he has no compunctions about doing so.  All of this in-your-face gloating is not softening the blow to his ego.  He'll take it as a challenge, to be more determined, more stubbornly uncompromising, more vicious, in the second half.

I know, I know -- Trump doesn't, exactly, elicit the least measure of sympathy  But it would have cost nothing, to Pelosi, Schumer, and so many of their followers, to be gracious winners.  Not only would it have, most likely, made the second inning go just that little bit easier, but it would have gone a long way toward demonstrating, to the public, that they're not as petty as their opponent.

Maybe that doesn't mean anything to anyone else -- but, in this day of "rude and crude" being the rule, rather than the exception, I would have seen it as a very refreshing demonstration of character.
Report Spam   Logged

In this world, a person can DEMAND respect ........ or COMMAND it.

The former will seldom - if ever - achieve the latter.
A159
Administrator

My Mood: Cautious

Nineth year Anniversary Level 6 Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary 5000 Posts Sixth year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2019, 12:48:24 pm »

I agree with both of your points. This was just round 1 and round 2 will take place Feb 15. I am 90% certain that with that round, Trump will introduce his declaration of emergency. Now I ask/wonder, what will Pelosi do then??

I've seen far too much gloating coming from the Left media with this short victory. I also didn't like that. Popping champagne corks at this time is way too early for that sh*t. We know what a maniac can do when one has the power to do most everything under the sun. Trump isn't finished dragging us not only over the coals but under them. Once he has his emergency powers activated, look out!!

Report Spam   Logged

As assistant Admin, I serve to improve this board's existence to the best of my ability. Keep in mind that, at my age, my abilities are slightly fuzzy.
countryguy

Eighth year Anniversary Level 6 Seventh year Anniversary 2500 Posts Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2019, 09:54:09 am »

The response to Trump's "emergency" declaration will be to challenge it in court.  It will quickly make its way to the Supreme Court.  I guess, at that point, we'll see just what difference Trump's appointments (Gorsuch and Kavanaugh) will make.  I'm not overly optimistic. 

Whether Trump succeeds or not, it will start, anew, calls for Congress to do something to limit the executive powers of the executive branch.  Once the court decides that Trump's declaration is constitutional, I would imagine it would take a constitutional amendment.  I doubt such an amendment could succeed, right now -- it would require ratification by 3/4 of the states, and the electoral college showed us how that would likely go.

If Trump wins the Supreme Court battle, he may feel emboldened to see how far he can go with the power of the executive.  We could end up with quite a mess.  Fortunately, however, by that time we should be fast approaching the 2020 election, at which time the people of this country will have a chance to vote on whether or not this country will survive, at all, as a democratic republic.

That is .............. if Trump doesn't try to call a national emergency, and cancel the election.
Report Spam   Logged

In this world, a person can DEMAND respect ........ or COMMAND it.

The former will seldom - if ever - achieve the latter.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: