Dezarae's Politics & More
March 29, 2024, 09:52:03 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Thanks For Looking Around. Now Sign Up And Join Us! It's Fast & Easy.If You Decide It's Not For You, Then No Problem..

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links MusicPlayer Jukebox Emoticons Emoticons2 Staff List Login Register  

House Dems' move to seize Trump's tax returns

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: House Dems' move to seize Trump's tax returns  (Read 205 times)
A159
Administrator

My Mood: Cautious

Badges: (View All)
Nineth year Anniversary Level 6 Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary 5000 Posts Sixth year Anniversary
« on: April 06, 2019, 01:14:50 pm »

As for Trump's claim that he's forever under an IRS audit on his taxes, why can't Congress quickly conform that?

Sadly, whatever progress Rep Neal makes to actually get Trump's tax returns for the last 6 yrs, it'll prob take yrs to make it to their hands. However, it must get done!! I'm sick and tired that justice always gets shoved to the back of the bus for those above the law.

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/04/04/democrats-trump-tax-returns-1321840

By AARON LORENZO and HEATHER CAYGLE 04/04/2019 12:51 PM EDT Updated 04/04/2019 07:09 PM EDT

The chairman of the House Ways and Means Committee has for months rebuffed calls from his liberal colleagues to demand President Donald Trump’s tax returns. And when Neal finally made the request — having it delivered in a letter handed off to the IRS commissioner late Wednesday — hardly anyone knew about it much ahead of time, even Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.).

The move was typical of Neal — subtle, without fanfare and on his own timeline – and shows how the Massachusetts Democrat has approached his job as a powerful chairman in the Trump era. Whereas other high-profile committee heads charged with oversight of the administration seem to relish fighting Trump, Neal has taken a much more muted approach.

“There was pressure, don’t get me wrong,” said Rep. John Larson (D-Conn.), a Neal ally on Ways and Means. “There was several on our committee that wanted it, you know, yesterday and I appreciate their point of view. But I think he was right to not throw caution to the wind.”

Now Neal is prepared to issue a subpoena for Trump's tax returns if the administration refuses to fork them over, the latest escalation of Democrats’ multi-front investigation into the president.
Report Spam   Logged

As assistant Admin, I serve to improve this board's existence to the best of my ability. Keep in mind that, at my age, my abilities are slightly fuzzy.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

countryguy

Badges: (View All)
Eighth year Anniversary Level 6 Seventh year Anniversary 2500 Posts Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2019, 04:20:39 pm »

I'm not sure what they're hoping to find.  More than anything, it appears to be a fishing expedition, to see if they can chance upon anything to use against Trump.  While I'm as curious as anyone, I believe they should have to spell out, explicitly, what it is they're looking for, before they procure any subpoenas.  This is, in effect, a search warrant, that they're after - which requires just cause.

By the same token, the voters should be holding it against Trump, that he refuses to do what every other presidential candidate has willingly done.  But, Trump voters don't seem to think their hero should be held to any standards, at all.  Hopefully, the 2020 election will be a yuuuuuuuge wake-up call for the deplorables.
Report Spam   Logged

In this world, a person can DEMAND respect ........ or COMMAND it.

The former will seldom - if ever - achieve the latter.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: