Dezarae's Politics & More
April 19, 2024, 10:50:07 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: http://dezaraespoliticsmore.freesmfhosting.com/

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links MusicPlayer Jukebox Emoticons Emoticons2 Staff List Login Register  

NOW what????

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: NOW what????  (Read 491 times)
countryguy

Badges: (View All)
Eighth year Anniversary Level 6 Seventh year Anniversary 2500 Posts Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary
« on: November 24, 2020, 04:27:12 pm »

The 2020 election is finally over.  For all practical purposes, Trump's lawsuits and litigation efforts are, at last, pretty much all thrown out of the courts.  The GAO has allowed the transition to begin, for the incoming Biden administration.  In other words, it's time for the 2024 campaign to begin.  Which brings up the big question of the day ---

Is there enough left, of a Republican Party, to mount a serious challenge, in 2024?  Or, has Donald Trump demolished  it, for the forseeable future?

The simple answer is yes, there's still a GOP.  And, yes, it still has enough die-hard followers to be a political force.  He may not have won this election, but he did receive over 72 million votes, compared to Biden's 79+ million.  And, included in that, he still has a very rabid, vocal, and dedicated base.  There's also quite a large number of non-Trump Republicans.  So, where is that likely to put us, in another four years?

As always, predicting the future involves risk.  For instance, will Donald Trump run for another term, in four years?   Will he be alive to run, again?  If he runs, will his "base" still be there, for him?

My guess, is that he will, indeed, survive the next four years, but that he won't choose to run.  He hates to be a "loser", in the worst way, and won't risk a repeat of this election.  But, his "base" will still be out there, and will be as rabid, as radical, as loud, and as committed, as it is, now.  And, Trump won't be able to turn down the attention and adulation that comes with it.  So, I suspect, he'll see himself in a new role -- that of "king-maker".  Or, maybe it would be more accurate to call it, "queen-maker".  Which would give him a choice of routes to go. 

The most obvious is Ivanka.  As everyone knows, Ivanka is the true love of his life.  Not only does he see her as the most beautiful woman alive, but also as the most intelligent.  There have, already, been a couple of father/son presidencies (the Adams' and the Bushs') -- but, never a father/daughter one.  The question, there, is whether Ivanka would run for the office.

Another possibility is Nikki Haley.  As a former governor of South Carolina, and a former U. N. ambassador, she has the political pedigree, executive experience, foreign affairs experience, and the chapped lips from kissing Trump's ... uh ... whatever, to make a run to be the first woman president -- in Trump's view, anyway.  Right now, those would be the leading two Republican women with a chance.  And, being the party to put the first woman in the oval office, is a yuuuuuuuge priority for the party.

Other than that, I can't, really, think of legitimate male candidate that Trump would, really, be willing to push -- at least, at this time.  There have been suggestions that Junior could be a possibility, but I just can't see it, myself.  He's still trying too hard to get his dad's approval.  And Eric - "the dumb one" - is even less likely.  I don't see him getting behind "Little Marco", or "Lyin' Ted".  I kinda doubt he'd try to push someone he's had to pardon.  Oh, yeah, I did forget about another possibility -- Stone-faced Pence.

Nah.  The only reason he picked Pence for a V.P. is that he'd never have to worry about the guy outshining him, and taking any of his attention away.

Of course, there's always a possibility that the Republican Party could find a way to move forward without Trump.  It is possible, but I don't see it happening for at least a couple of years, at least.  Trump isn't about to give up the spotlight, voluntarily.  His ego won't allow it, now that he's had it.

I guess, in a few years, all of these questions will be answered.  Could be an interesting time.

Or, it could be scary as hell.
Report Spam   Logged

In this world, a person can DEMAND respect ........ or COMMAND it.

The former will seldom - if ever - achieve the latter.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

steelydan
Global Moderator

My Mood: Happy

I Had Too Much To Dream Last Night.

Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2020, 01:45:41 pm »

I don't think there's much of a chance ANY Trump will run. I'd I'd be willing to bet on it. It's true Trump doesn't like to lose but history has shown for the most part that America doesn't like losers. Most of them fade away into the private sector and grow a beard like Al Gore. Or finally learn to keep their mouth shut and pretty much become reclusive like W Bush. Let's face it, in a way Trump has already lost twice. He lost the popular vote to Hillary and the popular vote AND the EC to "sleepy Joe". The problem for Donald J Trump will not only be that stuff but all his impending legal entanglements looming on his horizon. If ANY of those result in criminal charges it will not bode well for the Republican Party. And the millions who supported him in the first place. I think it was apparent from the get go that Trumps role was to put a final Karl Rove nail in the Democratic Party and it didn't turn out the way they had hoped. It won't stop them from trying even still through disinformation from the likes of QAnon, Facebook, and Twitter. But the way things change and how quickly it happens even they may not be able to help him any longer. I think our nation has Trump fatigue much like what happened with the Bush's and the Clinton's. The Republicans would be better off I believe finding a candidate less polarizing and more willing to come to common ground. Not sure if that would ever happen and also not sure where they would find a Republican like that but as Trump has shown stranger things have happened. And to take it one more step, I wouldn't totally rule out more third party involvement in elections from now on. And Republicans just may find out that may not help them all that much anymore either...
Report Spam   Logged

Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward.

http://dezaraespoliticsmore.freesmfhosting.com/index.php
countryguy

Eighth year Anniversary Level 6 Seventh year Anniversary 2500 Posts Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2020, 02:15:06 pm »

Lots to think about there, SD.

Right off the top, Trump is already saying he'll be running, again, in 2024.  How much one can say that means anything, well, we all know how much one can believe anything Trump says.  My sincere hope is that he, along with Princess Ivanka, "Slender Man" Jared, Jr., and "the dumb one" Eric, will all be in prison, in 2024, and that will end any questions.  As far as Orange keeping his mouth shut, becoming reclusive, and fading away ........... all I've got to say is, dream on.  This is Donald Trump we're talking about, here.

Report Spam   Logged

steelydan
Global Moderator

Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2020, 10:36:33 am »

Well, as you said Trump says a lot of things... I never said Trump will keep his mouth shut. He's incapable... But, I'm not the least bit worried about Trump. ANY of them. The best and the brightest in this country are going to keep him very occupied in Court for a long time. The only smoking gun Trump could ever come up with was emanating out another orifice that some people claim he used to speak with more than what normal people use to communicate with. Look, if you notice just how desperate he has gotten especially lately, Trump has been very denigrating to even a lot of Republicans as of late. They aren't going to forget all this especially when there isn't much more he can do to them to make it worse. I said something wrong above when I said Trump has lost twice. He has lost much more than that. Popular vote to Clinton, Popular and EC to Biden, and now the Presidency. All of that doesn't include all the Court cases he has lost... It's all of this combined that makes me think most if not all Republicans wouldn't back another attempt of Trump trying to regain the White House. Again, ANY Trump. Besides, there are plenty of other candidates in the Republican Party who are better and stand a better chance. Keep in mind, the very things Republicans believe they have "won" are the very same things they stand to lose if they keep heading down the road of divisiveness. Trump fatigue set in a lot sooner than Bush fatigue did. The only thing that helped save Bush for a second term was 9-11. Trump isn't going to have the same fate and I'll bet anyone money on it.
Report Spam   Logged

Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward.

A159
Administrator

My Mood: Cautious

Nineth year Anniversary Level 6 Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary 5000 Posts Sixth year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2020, 01:27:39 pm »

Surprise!

My quick two cents about Trump and 2024 is that he wants a redo badly. His long time wet dream is to be a dictator, a full blown dictator, and since he came this close to pulling that off, he sees 2024 his next chance. As long as Moscow Mitch is running the Senate Show as to destroy Biden's 1st term presidency, an image of a failed Biden presidency (even tho he would improve most American lives getting us past the worst of Covid-19) will be fresh crack to these insane Republicans as Trump will further bolster his lies and rip off taxpayer's monies. Besides, if Trump gets back in 2024, he'll probably want his azzhole kids to take over once he retires at Mar-a-Lago, while telling them what to do. If no justice prevails, the likes of Trump will oooz forward.
Report Spam   Logged

As assistant Admin, I serve to improve this board's existence to the best of my ability. Keep in mind that, at my age, my abilities are slightly fuzzy.
countryguy

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2020, 02:55:23 pm »

Hi, 159.  Good to see ya back.  That makes three of us, now.  We may just be able to make a go of it, yet.

Ya, I don't think there's a lot of doubt that Trump wants to run, again, in '24.  And, if he can't (death, prison, in a foreign country fighting extradition, for instance), he'll want one of his progeny to take his place.  The most likely one would be Ivanka (if she isn't in the womens' version of the facility they're housing her dad in).  Junior's popular with the far-flung, wacky part of Trump's "base", but he's not at all credible with anyone approaching mainstream.  Eric's best-known nickname is, "The Dumb One".  Don't be too quick to count out "Slenderman" Kushner, either.  Tiffany and Baron, while both too young to run, have also both stayed very much out of the political spotlight.

But, I have little doubt that someone with a Trump clan connection, will make a try.  The question then becomes ----- how far will they get, with it.  Personally, I think their race will be short-lived, whomever runs it.  He'll be out of office, in a few short weeks.  He may, even, be out of the country by then (there've been rumors that he may take a final trip on Air Force One, and "miss" the return flight).  The spotlight, if not turned off, will be replaced by one with a much smaller, dimmer bulb.  He won't be able to threaten the mass media, and social media, with the Justice Department, anymore.  He won't be able to threaten them with executive orders and executive actions, any more.  He won't have government departments and department heads to call on to do his bidding, any more.  He won't have a white house press corps, any more.  I think you'll find that FAUXNews won't even be very interested any more, beyond a brief time.

I also don't think he's helping himself with his refusal to admit he lost this election.  Every day of him, Giuliani, and little Kayleigh spouting their conspiracy crap, is costing him credibility, pretty much anywhere outside of that committed "base".  I think you'll see, after the inauguration, more and more of the Republicans in congress, especially the House, will slowly, quietly, fade into the real world crowd, once they realize they don't have to be afraid, any more.  Which leaves us with the original question ----- now what?  Where does the Republican Party go, from here?  I can't think of a single one of them who would be a credible candidate, in 2024.
Report Spam   Logged

steelydan
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2020, 09:26:44 am »

Of course most of what is being said here can't be discounted and I'm playing the devils advocate here just a bit... let's not forget one thing though... It wasn't long ago when there was talk of a Bush dynasty that would be coming for years ahead and that didn't materialize the way many conservatives were hoping for. It was going to be Jeb after W and then sons and other relatives after that. If I didn't know better from all that talk back then you would have thought a dynasty was a sure thing. On the other end of the spectrum years before that people thought it may happen with the Kennedy's. We all know what happened with that notion too. Assassinations can get i the way of things and so can time and circumstances like better candidates, war, the economy, any number of things. I'm thinking one of those things will influence the future decisions (by both parties) more than any of the Trumps. 2024 is four years away and that's plenty of time for both parties to come up with viable candidates. Obama came along in a hurry you have to admit... Besides, I really believe Biden will be a one term President and I'm not convinced that it's a bad thing. He is already setting people up in positions where they can succeed and become more high profile. Many more minorities and women will become more involved. With Trump it could be a matter of numbers as well as a tired worn out message that is his final demise even if it isn't his impending court battles that are going to keep him busy.
Report Spam   Logged

countryguy

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2020, 07:16:19 pm »

As I said, I'm sure a Trump, or someone with a Trump connection will run, in 2024 -- but I doubt anyone who reminds the nation of what we're finally getting rid of, will get all that far.  Which means -- someone else will be picking up the reins, in the Republican Party.  Anybody have any guesses, who that might be?  I don't really see any of the current Republicans who would be in the running.

I'm sure "Lyin' Ted" Cruz would like to fill that vacuum.  But, I don't think it'll happen.  Neither, I think it will for "Little Marco" Rubio.  They're both pretty damaged goods, since the 2016 campaign.  As are Chris Christie and John Kasich.  I'm sure Nikki Haley is chomping at the bit -- she might be a possibility.  And there's Joni Ernst, from Iowa.  The Republicans think that being first to put a woman in the Oval Office may, finally, give them a legitimate chance at the womens' votes.

But, who knows?  2024 is a long four years away, and someone who's completely off the radar, now, may suddenly appear.  Meanwhile, we'll get to sit here, and speculate.  That's, really, the most fun part of politics, anyway.

Report Spam   Logged

A159
Administrator

Nineth year Anniversary Level 6 Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary 5000 Posts Sixth year Anniversary
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2020, 03:10:34 pm »

Yeppers, cg, being that there's so much whacky juice inside the Trumplican Party ..... leaves us with so much speculation. All I am certain of is that they will throw spit balls at Biden every damn day of his 4 yr term. McConnell will make his Obama obstruction look like child's play during Biden's mtn climb. I wished that Biden and the Dems could pass laws to avoid every law breaking and defiant move that Trump made against our Constitution. One thing for sure. If this nation is expected to survive another mob boss rule, it better have in her tool box the ability to arrest such a pos!

I suppose that if Trump doesn't weasel his way back into the 2024 GE, Christie or Kasich might have a good chance to make it there. There's so many sneaky turd blossoms who might.

For me tho, what's next is us to successfully get past this damn Covid virus. that's really going to keep our nation so busy trying to survive and recover. I wish that the next move would involve a ton of justice to hold accountable those who enabled Trump, inluding Trump, to kill and damage so many Americans. That would help put things in a very positive perspective. I'm so done with forgive and forget. In doing so only brings sh*ts like most Trumplicans to do it all again and again. So, until we get our justice system seriously repaired and operating on all cylinders, we're only going to run in circles deep in dodo. For any Repub who dare to face my words here, I'd let them know in a nano second that if any Independent or once upon a time good Dem(s) operated/acted half as bad as these Trump sh*ts ..... I'd call for their heads with NO PROBLEM!!

Report Spam   Logged

As assistant Admin, I serve to improve this board's existence to the best of my ability. Keep in mind that, at my age, my abilities are slightly fuzzy.
steelydan
Global Moderator

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2020, 08:45:40 am »

I could very well see a candidate like Nikki Haley on the radar... The Republicans are always looking for a Margaret Thatcher type women who are basically another Ronald Reagan politically. They thought they were heading in that direction once with Elizabeth Dole until they found out she couldn't even handle the Red Cross. Four years isn't a long time in the political scheme of things but I want to savor a Biden win for awhile before contemplating what may or may not happen years from now. I know it can be fun and sometimes interesting but I wanna make sure Donald Trump is in the rear view first. As time goes on here and if the waters calm I'll gladly mention some potential candidates (on both sides actually) who I think have a good shot at leading our country. Another thing not to forget regarding Biden... One of the advantages to having experience and circling the block for decades is that he has a number of friends on both sides of the aisle. Biden has even worked for years with McConnell on various things. Whether or not they are truly friends or not may or may not matter. Biden is already light years ahead of where Trump was with his incoming nominations for various posts... Say what you want about sleepy Joe... he knows when to wake up and I'm already liking the messages he is sending out about healing our nations wounds. We have a lot of things to repair including feeling and trust and Joe Biden just might be the man to do it. As we found out with Trump many times in over four years actions speak louder than words. At least as far as Biden's track shows he doesn't make many promises he isn't willing to keep. 
Report Spam   Logged

countryguy

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2020, 08:16:31 pm »

Let's not forget -- if the Georgia run-off elections go the right way, in January, McConnel will become the minority ranking member.  And, as such, his power and influence will be severely curtailed.

I'm hoping that, after the change in administrations, someone on one of the appropriate committees starts an investigation into just what constitutes sedition and treason.  Trump, the attorneys general of Texas and, I believe 13 other states, the majority of Republican House members, and a number of Republican senators are actively engaged in an attempted overthrow of the legitimately elected incoming government of the United States.  In practical terms, a good share of the people who now identify as Republicans have left the Republican party, and have united together as the Treason Party.  It's time to call a spade a spade.
Report Spam   Logged

steelydan
Global Moderator

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2020, 08:53:53 am »

ABSOLUTELY!
Report Spam   Logged

A159
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2020, 07:58:32 pm »

Unfortunately guys, my inner gut is telling me that the Georgia runoffs will end up in a split at best, of which keeps Moscow Mitch at the head of the Senate bus. On some upside, I think that one or two Repubs may vote with the Dems to help pass some laws. Other than that Turtleman will do all that he can to destroy Biden eventho Biden expects McConnell to work with him. IMHO Trump with his many lawyers will quarterback with *itch from his hideout calling plays against a Biden presidency. I can only hope that Trump is eventually charged, tried and convicted (several times) ...... then off to the place where M Cohen served time. 
Report Spam   Logged

steelydan
Global Moderator

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2020, 10:24:09 pm »

I agree with you about McConnell. (and Georgia).  I think he's spent his life since Bork looking for Supreme Justice in the name of Revenge. He feels vindicated for missing out and Bork and now wants to make sure he packs the Court with right wing Judges that last 20 or 30 years. McConnell is an evil man and it's telling that you would spend your whole life plotting revenge on people. I still don't think Trump will go to prison but I'm hopeful that enough people have the means to keep him busy in Court for the rest of his life. Trump i believe will leave this Earth with a legacy of destruction.
Report Spam   Logged

steelydan
Global Moderator

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2020, 07:14:20 am »

Perhaps one of his disciples that he betrayed will pack his parachute for that glorious jump?
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: